Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP my Flathead starter sounds like a bag of bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRENT, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BRENT

BRENT

I'am having starting issues with my 49 Ford convertible. Most times I turn the car over and I get a sound that I can only explain as a bag full of bolts, it sounds horrible. The car never started nice as long as I could ever remember. When I did my T5 swap last year I noticed that someone replaced the flywheel with a schiefer flywheel.

Now I have done some searching on the HAMB and they talk about the starter plate being different from passenger car to truck. With an aftermarket flywheel do you think this angled starter plate could be causing the problems? and maybe I should be using a truck non-angeled starter plate? since this a non original ford flywheel.

Any first hand knowledge would really help.

Thanks,

Brent

2. jetmek

jetmek

yes change the starter mount plate...check the ring gear teeth while your at it

3. BRENT

BRENT

Thanks Jetmek, for the quick response. The ring gear on a couple of my starter have gotten chewed up pretty good in the past and I could not explain why it was doing this, until I discovered that the starter plates were different from car to truck maybe the passenger car had a different angle machined into the fly wheel. I will try switching them in the morning, I have a truck parts motor with bellhousing so it worth a try.

Brent