Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help, my car stinks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jstorm, May 23, 2007.

1. jstorm

jstorm

When i got my new kaiser home I discovered a large dead rat had died under the back seat. It smells awful in there, its tolerable but still nasty. I Febreezed it, and let it sit out in the fresh air for a couple days. What can i do to help get rid of or just lessen the smell? I want to drive it alot this summer but dont want to get in it and smell rat. PLease give me some suggestions.

2. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

3. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

go to the pet store and get pet urine remover that might help get the smell out

4. You can try (please, not all at the same time) mothballs, charcoal briquets, baking soda, or pet stain remover (get the kind with enzymes in it). I can't vouch for the mothballs, but the other three have worked from time to time.

5. seldom scene

seldom scene

a bag of oranges left in the car for a week or so helps.

6. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

The title of this thread made me laugh. :D

If it's REALLY bad, you may have to replace the carpet. The pet urine remover idea may work, too. I've never had this problem before, so I apologize that I can't be more helpful.

7. slo60

slo60

cofeee grounds-- on a paper plate... same with charcoal (dust) in the closed up car for several days... it might absorb it -- ive never tried it with dead animal stench though...

keith

8. jstorm

jstorm

The bad part is it doesnt have carpet. im tearing out the head liner too just because its crap and needs to be replaced anyways. Teh seats are brand new and have never been sat on. The place i got it from had the seats wrapped and placed in the car, then a rat moved in under the rear seat and then died and decompossed ( i know cause i found his remains). They are great seat and i would hate to have to recover them.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Put an open can of sardines in it, roll up the windows and park it out in the sun for a few days. You will never smell the rat....or any others for ever!

10. jstorm

jstorm

I think i peed myself from laughing so hard.

11. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

i know how to get the smell out..sell it to me:)
    seriously,clean the area first.then squeeze some lemons on there.i did it and it worked at my job.

12. i've used serveral boxes of baking soda (the freezer boxes) in friends cars after they bought them (newer cars) that had chain smokers in it. put a couple of open boxes in leave the windows up and it took almost all the smell away.

13. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

throw a couple banana peels in it on a warm day and leave them until they turn brown...it does work.

14. 72sst

72sst

You have the stench of death in your Kaiser.It will never come out.
    You will need to do only one thing.GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

15. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

If it smells half as bad as my old roomie's carpet after he spilled sardine oil on it...... lord, what a stink!!!!!!!

16. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

From personal experience, I know that leaving an entire loaf of head cheese in a hot car with the windows rolled up for an entire weekend works just as well. :D

17. Tony

Tony

I am in the process of re doing the whole interior in my 63 impala due to 8 dead mice in it.. NASTY dosn't even begin to describe how bad this bastard smelled.
    I removed EVERYTHING. I washed all the inner sheet metal, then once dry sprayed it with Lysol a few times..then started to replace it all..i even hung a couple of those stinky tree's in there for good measure :D
    I'm sure your not going to want to do a whole interior, but i honestly don't know how else to rid the odor.
    Maybe your's will be as simple as replacing the item's that were in contact with the rat..
    I know in my car, even the area's they weren't still smelled bad..
    Good luck man...

18. Gator

Gator

You need about 4 thousand of these.

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's bad - that's what took so long fixing the wiring for the headlights, I had to hold my breath everytime I got in the car.

I think a lot of the smell that's still there is coming from the headliner.

I would think the stench of raw gas from the leaky gas tank would have covered the rat turd smell by now, guess not though. LOL.

19. Tony

Tony

Yeah, those tree's...Royal pine beside's..haha

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I got a car from the junk yard ( I worked there part time ) that a man had died in ... ( stroke ) and nobody found him for 2 weeks ...

I got 6 or 8 large apples , cut them in half and placed them in the car.
    Done it again in a week ... then once more ...

smell gone ... :)

21. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Bananas-- peels and all leave them in for a couple of sunny days, it does work

22. roddinron

roddinron

wasn't a '58 Plymouth was it?:eek:

Anyway, maybe you should leave the smell in, it sounds like this car could be the ultimate "rat" rod?

23. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I bought an old station wagon years ago, it had an oder that I eliminated with dryer sheets. I used about a box full, but the smell went away, it was springtime fresh, soft and fluffy. Worked for me.....

24. knotheads

knotheads

my kid used fresh ground coffee spread out on a plate in his new refrigerator when he got back from a two week vacation and descovered a freezer full of rotten meat ..the result of a power loss while he was away.lysol and bleach helped a little as did baking soda but the coffee grounds did the trick .

25. nsidemn

nsidemn

26. Splinter

Splinter

May sound worse, but I've always used ammonia to get bad smells out-put a pie tin in the car with a 1/4" of ammonia in the bottom. Close it up and let it sit for a while.....When you open up the car it'll open up your sinuses, but let it air out for a while and usually that clears up the smell. I've gotten the "smoker's smell" out a couple of cars that way....

27. 56savoy

56savoy
    from socal

A pack of camels otta do the job.

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

29. On Myth Busters a coroner clean up tech had some chemical thing they use for that very thing but don't ask me what it was.
    Have I been any help?

30. tstclr

tstclr

If you can get access to an ozone machine that will do the trick. We have one of those at the dealership I work at (you should see some off the shit (literally) that we find in trade ins) and I ran it for about 4 hours in my 54 Chevy. Smelled like a fresh Spring day after a thunderstorm.
    Todd