Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help me save/fix this ‘54 Chevy chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by punkabilly1306, Nov 18, 2017.

1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Thanks everyone for the input but I WILL NOT be abandoning this car or scrapping it. Other than the roof line needing work and some finessing, it’s a good car. And no clue where these “$500 ‘54 chevys” are that someone mentioned but definitely not in this region; I’m seeing crappy 4 doors go for what I paid for this car. I’ve seen A LOT worse cars brought back or a lot more work put into other stuff that were considered wastes and in the end the cars turned out awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Yeah, I've read his thread a dozen times and am still in awe of that car! I'm usually not a fan of radical alterations, but his nails it in every way!

hans mercman likes this.
  3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

great looking car and great chop! I agree 100%, I think with a lot of patience, time,....some good beer, a new rear window, it will be saved.

4. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

How are you doing yours? Bead Roller or die and press?

5. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I contacted Twister sister about his rear window and it is a 46 Ford coupe. I was given one when I mentioned I was going to cut up a 46 coupe for the rear window. The window has some of the sheet metal from the roof and the glass so as soon as I can get started I will.

6. cretin

cretin

I was going to make up some dies and use the pullmax at the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. I will never understand the sayers of nay here sometimes. Maybe it’s just because they can’t fix it

Peanut 1959, Squablow, cretin and 2 others like this.
  8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Bring it back down to bare metal and do a restart. I know for myself it is not unusual to cut, recut, and cut and weld again. The rear sail area along with the rear window is usually the most difficult part of a chop on one of these designs. Just stick to it.

9. 0nedon

0nedon

The back glass is tempered, if they even tried to cut or grind it ,it would shatter. Tempered glass can't be altered.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  10. cretin

cretin

But you can buy glass for the rear that isn’t tempered and can be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

If there wasn't glass that could be cut, there would be no chopped 49-54s with real glass...right?

cretin and NWRacing like this.
  12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen where they sandblasted tempered glass down. Very time consuming, but it worked.

13. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Let me know and I would definitely be in!

14. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

On a side note: we got the motor/trans pulled today so I can start cleaning it up...but I CAN NOT get the trans unbolted from the motor! Does anyone have any ideas? I've unbolted the bolts I could get to but is there some hidden bolt somewhere that only stovebolt guys know of?!

15. ^^^^ block of wood + hammer^^^^^^

the bell housings are heavy and the dial pins could have it stuck, add some PB blaster to the pin holes

after that ya got me, mine just unbolted

nunattax likes this.
  16. banditomerc

banditomerc

Wow.... I came into this thread late but here's a pic of mine it's a 1953 210 that I chopped I use the stock rear window opening but I chop that down with the top since they do make laminated rear glass that can be cut your car has the stock size rear glass they try to slant it forward like they do the 51 Mercs... that approach does not work on these cars I would suggest redoing the rear completely either with the stock opening cut down or go with a different rear opening since you're there cutting up the metal anyway here's a picture of my car

Attached Files:

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  17. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I think Pete had Gene Winfield help chop his at Hatfields rod shop and they use a 49 ford back glass

18. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

so you basically sectioned your rear window frame?

19. banditomerc

banditomerc

Yes,I cut through it,and removed desired amount...just make sure it's square..

20. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Hey Everyone, found a possible rear window frame donor but wanted to get some input on my idea and see if anyone has some thoughts/inputs on my plan:

I'm thinking of cutting the '54 frame out and using the donor frame/glass posted in the pic posted, then tip the frame down more so that it takes up some of the space in the catwalk area and relieves some of that nasty bump in the rear of the roof. Taper the roof more in the back so it flows more with the quarter windows and then try to make/fix the belt line trim. Thoughts? FullSizeRender.jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 11.36.51 AM.png

21. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know I love my wife a lot but I love this almost much. Just way cool.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Well folks, after months of going back and forth on what I wanted to do to fix this chop...I decided to dig deeper and found more stuff that helped me make a decision. I found a donor '54 pontiac that I'm going to be swapping roofs and doors from the donor car onto my '54 and then rechopping it CORRECTLY. Let the good times begin!

Attached Files:

24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Why not just swap bodies and chop the poncho? Then youre already a step ahead with custom taillights?

chryslerfan55 and nunattax like this.
  25. 49-50 ford shoebox rear window will fot. My buddy did this to his old '54 belair he had chopped.

26. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I’m one of the rare ones who does not like the poncho rear end. On one hand, the poncho needs rockers, floor work, and I don’t like the rear quarters. On the other hand, the original ‘54 needs a new roof...so it’s a bunch of work no matter which route I go

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`d strip the rest of the Chevy body and see what else they covered up with bondo. Then deside on the Pontiac body. The rockers, floor and rear quarters can be fixed.

28. That Chevy must weigh 10,000 lbs with all that filler !!!

Man o man that sucks, can you blast the Chevy down to steel, actually see what you have then go from there?

All that “sculpting” with filler took time, time that could have been spent welding steel some folks are fucked on there priorities

Attached Files:

29. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

The guy was definitely an artist when it came to filler sculpting!

30. cretin

cretin

punkabilly1306 likes this.