Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help me find some old photos of this Cedar Rapids Iowa 1940 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Sep 22, 2015.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I found a decent set of 4 on the HAMB recently. I'll be honest, I've been looking for about a year. My car is also getting a '56 324, so they were really what I wanted. They were pretty popular on hot rods right up into the sixties, at the time, there were also very similar ones made aftermarket, by companies like Bi-Rite and National. They're out there...
    IMG_20150923_0001.jpg

wingnutz likes this.
  2. patterg2003

patterg2003

I sent you a PM with information that you may or may not have on this car.
    all the best,
    Glenn

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Look at all the bootleg liquor you could haul, even if just for pretend.
    Absolutely dump your Hemi and mag in there. Chrome 40s black wall rake maybe reversed/ widened in the rear to hook all that motor.

4. Merc steelies and caps.

Roadsir likes this.
  5. chase knight

chase knight

The Crane box is late 1960's.. Note the gold anodized aluminum valve spring retainers. Not advised for street use today. Regards, Chase

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Chase, I was thinking late '60s, but I was only really certain it was pre-'74.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks guys. I've been corresponding with Renee, and she is working on pics.
    Her Dad sold a t-bird in 08 as a result of the floods. I will follow up with more info, she has wondered where the car ended up.

Still thinking about wheels. The car is gm bolt pattern. I do have 2 mercy steelers, 4 chrome early ford wheels, maybe a bolt pattern change is in order.

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Hard to believe that car lasted till 2013 to have a 1990s summit catalog throw up all over it :-(

Thankfully in good hands now ...

Hopefully you can recover the trophy and memorabilia that belongs with the car be cool to see some pics of it from the 50s for sure !

D.Lee, Roadsir and Runnin shine like this.
  9. Roadsir

Roadsir

I've got a few PM's from a member that is passing along my contact information to a gentleman that has some stories and knowledge of the car. I also have a PM into another member, and potentially a lead on the whereabouts of the original hemi. Wouldn't that be cool.
    How this all plays out may well in fact determine the direction I take with the car.

kiwijeff, wingnutz, Moriarity and 3 others like this.
  10. titus

titus

Im sure my wife could do something with the front seat. She did some matching work on the 31 checy coupe gasser i redid a couple years back

neat car

jeff

wingnutz and Roadsir like this.
  11. Roadsir

Roadsir

This is great. Renee shot me an email that she found three trophies. Here's a picture of one. We are still waiting for the photographs trophies etc. from the Auction buyer.

40 Trophy-001_640x480.jpg

12. Roadsir

Roadsir

325w sent me a message that he had a key-chain bottle opener he thought would be cool for the car, and he is dropping it in the mail. This will be a neat addition.
    Funny that one of Jack S. friends I talked to had a business cleaning food ingredient trailers (malt and corn syrup) and had developed a proprietary method. Probably for Ideal Malt Syrup Food Products in Cedar Rapids Ia.
    Thanks @325w

40 bottle opener key chain.jpg

BigO, redzula, AHotRod and 1 other person like this.
  13. Isn't Cedar Rapids where you got the picture ticket for speeding?

You're digging up some cool history. That would be a neat key chain for the car.

Roadsir likes this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Following this one--really like that 40-waiting to see the progress.

Roadsir likes this.
  15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

He probably made $100 million just from the corn syrup trailers in CR alone .... they don't call it the city of 5 smells for nothin'

AHotRod and Roadsir like this.
  16. 3340

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Big and Littles with small caps are my favorite.

Attached Files:

i.rant and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yesterday I was down at my shop during lunch looking at the car and it got me thinking about early ford steelies, and painted a bronze color. I was thinking the 49-50 Ford flathead engine paint bronze, it has a muted aged look.

Are those 15's or 16's? and sizes?

40's sure look good dumped in front!

19. Roadsir

Roadsir

....Bronze wheels, bronze motor, white firewall....

D.Lee and i.rant like this.
  20. Roadsir, you package will ship tomorrow.

Roadsir likes this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My favorite Ford engine color! X2 I'm using it on my 32 PU's Windsor engine cause it just looks old and cool.

22. Don't have any info for you on the 40....But just wanted to say how dam cool it is that you have it and can't wait to see what you do to it.

23. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks Dennis, it should be a fun winter. I've got some loose ends on the 32 3w, lots of small stuff to sort out on the 40, and more.
    Eric

24. Roadsir

Roadsir

Jack S. Daughter has asked if could help track down the whereabouts of a 1961 Thunderbird that she helped her Father sell after the 2008 flood in Cedar Rapids Ia. I started a thread on the Fordbarn to see if any information can be found.
    Here is a note she sent:

I was just wondering if maybe your car friend circle could help me find my dad's other antique car. It was a 1961 Ford Thunderbird. It was peach in color with white leather interior. When the floods of 2008 hit we had that car in a rental garage right down the street but closer to the river. There was a semi behind the garage and we couldn't get it out. The car flooded up to the instrument panel. I remember it having very low miles...maybe 53,000 original comes to mind. I helped my dad sell it on eBay on 10/31/2008 for 3126.09. The guy came and picked it up on a trailer I believe from Illinois. He was going to fix it up for his wife to drive around. He was supposed to show us the finished product but never got back. It was a beautiful car...but my dad was 75 and not ready/willing to do that kind of work. The water only came up to about 2 inches on the Ford tires. I'll never forget...the military evacuated the whole neighborhood but my dad stayed. He moved all his guns from safes (and he had a lot of them) up a ladder and to the garage attic. He had no electricity, no alarm system, he was not leaving.....and he was the one person they didn't make leave. The guards on the corner even knew him by name and knew he was there and respected his purpose. He lived by candle light and ate off the Red Cross Food truck. Oh you bring back memories for me.

Let's see if we can find some pics!

Tim, redzula and catdad49 like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

26. Roadsir

Roadsir

I caught the gas cap door right away as 1946-1948 Ford. Mine is filled with the gas filler turned in through the wheel well. Inside of the fender looks like it was metal finished. I think it is the only modification on the body
    This is really a nice looking coupe.

[​IMG]

BigO, AHotRod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I really like it. I got a '46 gas cap door for my '39, afterwards I started thinking about it, now I am kinda looking for another one for my t.
    Too bad there isnt a colour photo of this car, I bet it was really sharp.

28. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

sweet find! i'm another voter for a hemi 354 0r 392 with 6 strombergs and I've always thought the '60's chromed steelies with bullet centers looked good on '40's .........but I bet if he was a drag racer it just had some painted steelies on it no caps

29. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Great looking '40! Looking forward to seeing updates!

30. Maineac 1

Maineac 1

That is a beautiful 40 ! I also agree it needs a Hemi ! If it wasn't already modified I might think otherwise but I'd go for it ! Do Jack proud !! It will be a cool ride no matter what !