Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help me choose the color for my wheels.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 283, Jul 31, 2014.

1. 283

I have a set of Star Wires that have been blasted. I'm going to have them powder coated. I just don't know for sure what color. I'm torn between red and silver. They are going on my 3 tone 55 Buick Special it has some red in the interior so the Red would fit. The wheels will have chrome knock offs and lugs and maybe trim rings. What do you my fellow motor heads think?

Attached Files:

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Kind of a tuff call. You've several different colors going on there. All of which could go pretty well with other colors (if that makes any sense:D). Which opens some options, but at the same time can muddy up the pot. My first choice would probably be chrome 'em, but that's kinda costly I know, and may not be within your budget.
    Maybe shot over to the big Photoshop thread and have one of those guys give you a few different renderings. Cool Buick BTW.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I kind of like offsetting the three tone body with either the correct color of cream or just jet black. Full trim ring, chrome lugs and centers. I really don't think you need a 4th color out there...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

agreed, no-nonsense, black.

5. Model T1

Model T1

Both good color choices. I'd probably go with the silver and I love red. However the silver would look more like the original chrome wires. Too bad you can't shoot a cheap silver rattle can on one to try it first then remove it.
    If you were switching to wide whites then I'd choose the bright red wheels.

6. I like the bit of red showing now, so I would go with red spokes and use trim rings and wide whites. Might want to photoshop a trim ring in the grey body color rather than chrome, would be different and might look good

7. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Black would look good... But given that theyre spokes, I think it would defeat the entire point of having wires and just hiding them...
    2 Ideas from my head... depending on the tire your running...
    1... If your running black walls I would run chrome or silver, although the body scallop cream would great on them also....
    2... If your going with white walls red would look good with chrome centers... But the cream would also...

The more I type... I think im leaning toward cream with chrome centers... Or if you have a powder coater thats worth his salt... you could do red rims with cream spokes... add some color without to much...

8. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Red for sure, that would bring that car alive.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got a rusty old set that I was thinking about having done in a powdercoat that looks like chrome. Gotta look better than they do now!
    And for that matter, just about all the chrome I bought, or had replated on my 61 Dodge 7 years ago is all getting rusty. My paint held up better than the chrome did, so powder should last longer too!

10. How about painting the top white and powder coating the wheels a gray color like the body or red.

Four colors would be a bit much. HRP

[​IMG]

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Match you body color. Or chrome them. It has a hotrod custom vibe. So nice in chrome.

12. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I do powdercoating... The chrome powder, while it does look good, does not look like chrome... It looks more like a not so highly polished aluminium, and its VERY dependent on the condition of the metal, if its not completely slick youll see it... Stay with colors... I try to get people to use the chrome on interior parts and engine parts more than exterior parts...

13. I think that much red would be too much. I'd go with one of the colors on the car (or chrome).

14. belair

belair

HRP is right- four colors are too many. I'm thinking gray top and then I give up because I can't get excited about painted spokes. But maybe orange. Good luck, that' a nice Buick.

15. 55Brodie

55Brodie

My vote is to paint tbe body scallop black and go with red wires and black walls.
    Hey, you asked....

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

17. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Maroon

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd go with the cream that is on the body and skip whitewalls altogether.

19. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

I'd go black.

20. loudbang

loudbang

Anything but red.

40fordtudor likes this.
  21. Black, with all the chrome you're throwing in, black.

22. 283

Thanks didn't even give black a thought but now I am. Gray did come to mind but I didn't know how it would look with the chrome knock offs.