Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! Looking for 1942-48 cadillac starter or refference to mini starter(for my olds)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bones35, Nov 25, 2006.

1. bones35

bones35

well i found out this morning that the starter the old hot rodder used was a delco 1107931 on my olds with the cross over to move the noid to the top. i found a noid rebuilt kit on ebay but i really want a mini starter. any links to caddy pages or info would help, napa has nothing all n/a. cory

2. redbeard

redbeard

do you have more information on your current set up?

Like how many teeth are on your flywheel?

and is that delco # for a flathead caddy starter?

I was just looking into this combo myself, as I just took apart a
    caddy flathead and tranny and counted the teeth on the caddy flywheel, it was 154 and that
    didn't seem to match any of the olds or ohv caddy tooth counts.

and everything I have read says the starter has to match the flywheel tooth count.

I am not saying it won't work, in fact I would be happy if it does,

I am just trying to figure it out.

3. The guys who sell the mini starters are at LB swap meet tomorrow. Post tooth count and exactly what you need and I'll ask for you tomorrow.

CP

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

154 or 145???

I wanna say all my flywheels for Olds/Cad are 145, except one might be a 176??

5. redbeard

redbeard

yeah I counted it three times, 154, trust me I wanted it to match an olds

bear in mind this was a 48 caddy flat head.

Chili, do these mini starters bolt up to the stock lower bell housing for the olds?

would like to here more about these, my 371 has a 176 tooth count flywheel.
    I guess I am a closet rocketeer.

Was waiting til the project was further together.

6. bones35

bones35

and is that delco # for a flathead caddy starter?

yes it is. there is a brush kit for the starter on ebay, but what we really need are some links to caddy web pages. i found out today that my starter is fine but the seliniod is bad, so i can probally find something to work. i was by my self so i couldnt count the teeth.

7. Redbeard, yes, they bold in the stock place. As far as I can see, the biggest benefit is that the little starter has more distance from the exhaust pipe.

I heard my Viper brother, Francois, talked your ear off at the Poorboys gig this year.

8. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I've got a local guy that I use for all my starter, alternator and generator repairs. I had him do my Caddy Flathead starter about a year ago. $175, and it looked like I dug it out of a dirt pile, but its super nice after he got done with it. And it needed everything. He did cross reference something else for the solenoid on the top, but I can't find a # on mine to tell ya.

AAA Alternator Svc
    Address: 2111 Washington Ave, Houston, TX 77007
    Phone: (713) 869-5849
    Guys name is Steve Wheat. Great guy. And I know a lot of the Houston HAMBer's that have had the same great treatment by him.

Now I'm going to have to count teeth this afternoon. And see if all mine are 154. I have no idea.

9. bones35

bones35

well the wonderfull wife helped me count the teeth and i have a 147 tooth flywheel. we di it twice marking off every 10 so im certain this is the number. hey indashop thanks for the refferal, there isnt any good rebuilders in my town that i know of. the solenoid # is 1118102

10. Here ya go, Cory:
    Quality Power
    626-358-0763
    Fax 626-359-1546
    www.qualitypowerauto.com

They mount to the stock spot and they have an adjustable mount to help get a good tight fit. I forgot to ask price, sorry.

Phil

11. bones35

bones35

thanks phil, im gonna give a call tomarrow, if that dosent work out im gonna send it out to the tx rebuilder. cory