Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help Info and Id. on Olds rearend and Mickey Thompson Center Section

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRS, Jan 9, 2017.

1. HRS

HRS

I posted this a few months back in the classifieds for a friend not knowing much about it.

Can anyone id what year the axle housing is?

I've also heard that these MT center sections are no good for the street and best suited to for drag racing only. Any truth to that?

How about gears? Readily available?

Thinking about buy these parts myself for a future project.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

This appears to be the small "55-'56 Pontiac/Olds. The dark grey color tells me its magnesium but were offered in both aluminum and Mag. As far as being no good for street I say bullcrap . The only possible negative reason is the fact a that for some reason there are no bearing pre load locks. Maybe to eliminate a stress riser potential crack in the caps from the threaded holes..A pair of steel Cap girdles would be a huge strength improvement and a way to add the locks. While On the subject of Pontiac / Olds rearends I am a die hard fan of the big '57-'64 units. They are the best appearing of all housings and were the unit of choice in virtually all the mid to late '60's Gassers , altereds, and Funny Cars. The original Posi's have a weakness in spider gears. This I know first hand blowing two sets on the starting line. But the good news is Fab Craft offers brand new bulletproof 31 spline Posi units. Also ARP studs and a Mark Williams steel cap on the ring gear side and a solid pinion preload spacer are all ways to make the already strong unit bulletproof to any abuse. If you are a drag racer from time to time than I suggest 35 spline axels and a spool.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. HRS

HRS

Thanks for that info.

If this is the '55-'56, than it should be 10 spline axle per http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pontiac-olds-rearend-tech-post-it-here.129676/

That being the case, gears should be available, correct? Supposedly, it has 4:56s right now, which arent what I desire for a street car.

4. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Sorry for the late response. Gears for the 57-64 are way easier to find used or new Ring and pinion. It may be difficult to find the earlier ring in pinon and nobody makes them you but if you call around to some of those junkyards in Hemmings motor news you may be able to find some tall gear differentials. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy