Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identifying shrapnel from muncie 4speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fender lizard, Mar 18, 2020.

1. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Recently sold a muncie 4speed to a fella after removing it from a running 55 belair. Trans worked perfect when I had it, was removed and stored about a year then sold. The guy calls me up saying he changed the oil out of it and these two boogers came out. I agreed to take it back and fix it for him as I listed it as a ready to go trans. Dude is super cool about the whole thing and I just want to make it right and fix it. After opening the side cover where the shift selectors are all the gears look great. Anyone have an idea where these are from? Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. hot rust

hot rust

looks like the dogs or whatever the proper name is that are spring loaded that lock the shift collar in place.

stillrunners and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Well.... I found out what they are. Looks like I'm going to tear it down and rebuild it. Thanks anyways guys and gals!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Thanks for the quick reply!

5. Mimilan

Mimilan

Detents from a shift hub.
    Usually the retaining springs pop off when you install the slider

egads likes this.
  6. You might want to take a close look inside and move the slider (?) that shifts the gears. It is possible to see if those dogs are in place already. Maybe someone else left them behind. After all the tranny worked in the past, hard to believe that if those pieces came out of the same slider.

7. I think they're called syncro keys, or something like that. They fell out of my old Munice when I opened it up years ago. o_O

Turned out the PO assembled it wrong which led to overtravel of the syncro assembly, first the shifter locked up and if you forced it, the keys snapped. IIRC part 11 and 25 in the exploded view below were swapped, they look identical but aren't (caveat; this was 14-15 years ago). The keys are number 15 and 22 on the exploded view.

muncie.jpg

chryslerfan55 and reagen like this.
  8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Just by chance, is that the same transmission that you sold him?

belair and 427 sleeper like this.
  9. Yes,,,that is a broken dog lug key,,,,,slang term for it .
    Probably out of 3-4 th gear area .
    If there is excessive clearance there it will let them move out of position and break sometimes .
    Also,,,,if the shifter is out of adjustment and with no stops,,,it can cause it sometimes.
    Usually,,,it is too much clearance though .

If it came from 1-2 nd gear area,,,,look closer to the gear engagement ,,,clearance,,,,between the gears and slider drive hub .

Oh yeah,,,if they came out with the oil change,,,,,I imagine the tranny is not shifting very well,,,,,,at least I don’t believe it should be .
    And,,,,these could have been left from a previous owner,,,,just saying ?

Good luck ,,,hope it’s not bad .

Tommy

chryslerfan55 likes this.