Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help identifying early Ford juice brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canadian Eh!, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Haven't posted in a while (work getting in the way of hot rods) but I've hit a stumbling block on the 32 roadster progress.
    I've picked up a set of early juice brakes and am trying to identify the year so I can get the appropriate spacer to run 1935 wire wheels. I know they are not 40's-does anyone have any pics of pre-40 drums (digital cam is on the fritz otherwise I'd post some pics of what I have).
    I appreciate any help.

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

What are you asking??? All drums interchange 35 to 48. In other words, you can use the wide 5 drum or the 5 x 5 1/2, your choice. The backing plates interchange 39 to 41 and 42 to 48. The spacer for 35 wire wheels will be the same for all 5 x 5 1/2

3. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Just trying identify any differences in the pre 40 drum compared to a 40-if in fact there are any. I'm just not completely sure the year I'm working with.
    Thanks

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A '40-'48 drum will have the appearance of most brake drums through the '50s and '60s. A '36-'39 drum used the very wide spaced bolt pattern wheels, and the studs will be near the outer edge of the drum.

5. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

mechanical brakes 32-38 (some had cables but you get the idea)
    39 hydraulic
    hyd. backing plates are basically the same...there are some differences, say, 42-48 style vs 39-41
    yes, you need a spacer to place between a 35 spoke rim and later style hubs.....many have made them work, but if you watch when you tighten them up, it isn't tightening up on the inside of the rim and you can see it "draw" the steel in.....i just dont' trust it
    36-39 had the wide five bolt pattern on the hubs

i'm not exactly sure what you are asking but thought I'd throw some of this out at ya!

6. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try and borrow a camera from work and post tomorrow-that may help.
    Thanks again.

7. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Here is a problem I ran into.. I was running 17" wires on my bucket.. The early drum will have a solid flat raised ridge all the way around the drum that the wheel will draw up to when lugs are tightened.. The newer drums will have a raised bump evenly spaced aprox 4" apart in the area where the wheel flange would seat.. You need the early ones...sorry no pics.. Don't have any drums sitting around to photo... EVILT

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A basic question: Do your brakes have the basic Ford hydraulic featur of 11/16" adjuster bolts at about 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock on the back?? There were many Ansen type conversions sold involving various '28-38 plates hydraulicized...
    If you have the above, brakes are one of the two '39-48 types, drums will be either wide 5 or 5 on 5 1/2 in one of two basic styles. Functionally, it doesn't matter a whole lot which subtypes you have...

9. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Answer to your question. 36 drums have a different snout depth than 37-9 wide 5. 40-46 drums, the hub mounts inside the drum, drum is tapered. 47-8 drum, the hub mouts on the outside of the drum, large flat flange.

The later backing plates all use 7/16 mount bolts and must be redrilled or filed to meet the early spindle 3/8 bolt spread. Backing plates can be identified by the lower anchor mount. 39-46 have a bolt and nut lower anchor pin that serves as an adjuster. The 47-8 backing plates have fixed lower anchors shoes are held on with a bar and cotter pin and uses a rotating washer for centering adjustment.

To install later backing plates on early spindles 28-35, a backing plate centering spacer must be used as well as a spindle snout bearing spacer to achieve correct alignment.

To install early for wire wheels on 40-48 drums a spacer between the hub and wheel bolt flange should be installed to prevent the center wheel hub from cracking. The outer edge of the wheel hits the drum before the center portion, leaving a small gap.

10. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Wow! Thanks everyone, I'll be doing some measuring and see if I can post the pics tonight.
    I really appreciate the help.

11. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

OK, here we go. I hope the attachment works
    What year are these juice brakes from?
    Thanks everyone for your help.

Attached Files:

• drum.jpg
      drum.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Bump for the morning crowd. Anyone?

13. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

those are 40 pass and truck front drums.they have a drum that mounts on the outside of the hub and have a scerw on greese cap.later drums were behind the hub and have a drive on greese cap.35 drums are the only drum that looks somewhat like the ones you have,but they have a support for the wire wheel made onto the hub.the ones you have do not.

hope that sheds some light on it for you.

-danny

14. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Thanks very much for the help! Next step is finding a spacer to run my wire wheels.
    By the way, here's a pic of the project.

Attached Files:

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Call up Spadaro--he's an early Ford supplier and expert. He either has them or knows some sources--there are a number now.

16. Mr. Spadaro Sir,

I know you'll be coming back to this thread, so I want to ask you a brake related question.

Do ya' know of anyone that has used the finned aluminum brake drums with the '37-'39 passcar wide five hubs and '39-'48 backing plates?

As you are aware, I know what to do with a 3/4 ton hub and Buick drums, but is the swap feasible using the beforementioned wide-5 hubs and Ford brakes? Or can it be done using the buick backing plates?

17. Mart

Mart

Have to jump in here-
    I keep hearing thare are two types of drum, one that fits over the hub, and one that fits behind the hub, early and late in that order. Well that pic shows a third type, where the hub and drum are cast in one piece. I have some like that myself. I think I am right in saying that a wire wheel does not clear that type as well as the type that has a separate drum.
    I mean clear around the outer part of the wheel center, you can see a white witness mark where the wheel has touched the drum.
    If you want to run that type of drum with wires, first you will need a spacer about 8mm thick (5/16") that will hold the wheel centre off the drum. Then you need a 5mm (3/16") thick spacer about 4" diameter that will stop the center of the wheel pulling in as youngin described.
    You might need longer studs to acommodate the extra specers.
    Experiment with washers stacked on 3 of the studs until the wheel clears. That's the thickness of spacer you require.
    A friend has a set of those drums on a 42 that came from South Africa. That car may have been built in Canada. Are these oddball drums found on Yankee spec cars, or are they a Canadian only offering??
    Enquiring minds need to know.
    Mart.