Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help identifying axle and steering setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluebolt, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Anyone ever see this kind of steering setup before? Guy thought it was old Total Performance T stuff, it came off a t bucket. Looks like the draglink went from the box to the bellcrank, tierod between two bellcranks has a lug welded on it to use with short tie rod which goes to long tie rod between spindles. Complicated but cleaner looking than a long tierod in front of axle and has better Ackerman. Spindles appear to be 42-48 Ford squarebacks. So the questions.

1. Is this an old Total Performance setup?
    2. Does this setup work OK or are there design issues with it?
    3. Am I correct on the spindles being 42-48 Ford?

Thanks for any help, I am still learning the older cars, used to my mid sixties Fords LOL.

Attached Files:

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Not sure but the spindles do look like fords.They aren't factory they look like they were recasted.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Rube Goldberg...yep, definitely Rube Goldberg.

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...I wonder was it built to allow a poor angle from cowl steering or something?
    The bellcrank to cross-steer would allow you to get away with that...but the extra idler arm and rods?
    Weird!!!

5. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

The original setup had an almost vertical steering column, there was a sleeved hole on each side of the frame for the bellcranks.

6. The axle with just the single bend on each side is a typical Total Performance design, but they wern't the only company using them. The king pin width is another way to ID the maker. Some were as wide as 50" and others as narrow as 46".