Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identifing parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dusterdave, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

Can anyone help identify these parts?

Picture number
    1. 6 lug spindle?
    2. 6 lug spindle?
    3. Rear brake drum model A?
    4. Shock?
    5. Steering box model A?
    6. Shock?
    7. Shock?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks wild, show us the whole car :)

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

x2, looks like you drug some interesting beast out of the swamp

4. Fordors

Fordors

Not a real lot to see in the angles the photos were taken, but I’ll give a it a shot.
    1&2- The six lug hubs might be from Model T wooden wheels, that was a popular hub for some early race cars.
    3&4- No idea on the rear drum but it was obviously vented (crudely) for cooling. The shock is a Houdaille as used on later Model A and V8 Fords, and in this photo it also looks like the rear radius rod and spring hanger are Model T, maybe the rear axle is also. There is a nerf bar welded to that rear radius rod.
    5- Franklin steering box? That was the go to box for early racers.
    6&7- Two pair of Hartford aftermarket friction shocks that have been crudely connected to a ‘33-‘36, or ‘37-‘42 Willys front axle. The axle has been modified to use a Ford style cross spring arraignment and the Willys spindles may have had machine work to use the Ford hubs mentioned earlier.
    That’s what I see, but I’m no early race car expert. I’m sure others may correct me.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

rear radius rods are model A i believe. rear drum looks like a 26-7 T with a drilled cover over it? is it cast, or steel?

6. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

Old midget racer!

Attached Files:

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Front hub is a modified Model T item, steering box is Franklin.

Bob

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. the body is an early flat back that is hard to find (no built in head rest hump). We had a NOS one a few years back that we sold to Ray Evernham for his collection in Mooresville.

9. catdad49

catdad49

Knew it was something Old and interesting, the last two photos prove That! Now that you have our attention, how about the rest of the story?

10. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" 90% complete, all the hard work is done " ;)

11. raven

raven

Man there’s got to be a good story about you digging that out from wherever it was resting. Do tell!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

received_1238986846255585.jpeg No real cool story, but here it goes, I met this guy that works for a different company last summer and we some how got talking about cars and projects, he said he was going to sell a 40 ford 4 dr complete with the flathead, I told him I might be interested and he said it's only good for parts or yard art. I said ok I'll think about it, so a few weeks ago I asked if he still had it he said had just sold it a few weeks ago. Then he says I have a kaiser! I said nope! Lol then he says he has some kind of single seat racecar from the 30's no wheels and tires, motor or trans, but all else was there! I said send me pictures, it was an anxious two days waiting for pictures, when I got them on Saturday the first text back was, if I bring cash and a trailer what's it going to cost to get it on my trailer, he said bring your trailer and some cash and we'll figure it out! So Sunday I grabbed $500 a hooked up the trailer and off I went, when I got there and looked at it, it was a little rougher than the picture disclosed, "he said what do you think?" My mind said offer him $200, but my mouth said "how about $100?" He said "I was thinking $200!" I said "perfect, that's what I was thinking" so we put a strap around it and picked it up and set it on the trailer with his tractor, now its mine! This was it resting place for decades before the rescue!!!! By the way, the dark hole above the front end of the racecar was a shed, a couple of days before I got the car they dug a bunch of sticks of dynamite out of there! He told me there was enough to level the four rickety houses on the property!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    stanlow69 and The37Kid like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

We still don't know were you are or were the car could have raced. Bob

14. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

WOS#00001425.jpg I live in Oregon City, Oregon about 20 miles south of Portland Oregon. The car was buried in the foliage in Corbett Oregon which is about 20 miles east of Portland Oregon. Probably raced in Portland Oregon at the Portland Speedway!

Picture above had caption that said "midget racing in the 40s."

Found this;
    Check out photos of Portland Speedway alongside images from the museum as well as range of items from the World of Speed Archive’s collection highlighting the Speedway’s 75 years of racing before closing in 2001.

http://www.worldofspeed.org/archive...ed-honors-portland-speedways-drive-in-theater

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  15. that is an early circa 1930 maybe flat back racer body. (no head rest) 2nd one on here this week which is rare as they are hard to find. Can you post up more pics of the body etc?

16. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Popcorn popped, waiting for pix and stories... love this stuff!

The37Kid likes this.
  17. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

18. Deuces

Deuces

Sweeeeet!.... :cool:

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

That was a fairly nice car when it ran its last race. Four bar up front 6 lug wheels in front 5 in the back, should be easy to pick out of any period photos. Close up photos of the engine compartment my give some leads on what it had for power. Bob

20. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

So the fronts are model T? Is there a swap to make it 5 on 5 1/2? Without spending a lot of money at speedway?

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

i know the outer bearing is the same as 28 to 48 ford, not sure of the inner, but a bushing would fix any difference

22. Fordors

Fordors

The spindles are Willys, did they have to be modified for the T hubs?

23. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

20190320_150716.jpg 20190320_150725.jpg 20190320_150716.jpg

Attached Files:

24. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

I don't know what I have, but some said model t fronts?

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The "T" hub pattern is the 6-pin pattern that modern midget/Sprint/Champ hubs still use, so if you have any interest in a restoration, that would be the pattern to retain. The single drum brake on the left rear screams "late pre- or early post WWII". My guess is that car probably started in late '30s, & probably lasted until the mid-late '50s. The solid rear axle probably added post WWII, along with the 4 front radius rods instead of "hair-pins"& the tube axle. I know it's a "rail-frame", but with a decent motor/driver combination could have been reasonably competitive as late as the late '50s. Most common power would have been V8-60, although almost any motor under 145" could have been used, some with good results. These cars were modified /updated so much that, without someone actually recognizing it, it's hard to accurately "date". The single exhaust loop(on left, near the shock) suggests possible 4cyl(unless the remains of another one are found on the right). The "nerf" bars on the rear radius bones suggest late '40s or newer, & could well have been a late "add-on". Might be a good idea to contact "Golden Wheels" vintage racing assn in your area & put the pictures around the older members, lookin for any recognition. Hope this helps!! Keep us posted?

harpo1313 likes this.
  26. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

Thank you, I will keep it going!

27. redo32

redo32

Maybe Marty Strode will see this. Or better yet PM him. He is out of Banks and has a lot of Portland Speedway history.

28. Dusterdave

Dusterdave

I talked to him

29. rusty valley

rusty valley

the spindle looks odd to me, i am a ford guy not willys. the T 6 holes are for bolting it to a wooden wheel. your hub shows two plates, originally one at the inside, then the wood wheel, then the outer 6 hole plate to press all the wood spokes tight with 6 bolts. yours, shows both plates together, why i dont know, and the threaded part on the out side of the T hub, if it is a T hub, which would hold the T grease cap seems to be cut off, thus showing much more of the end of the spindle and nut/bearing area that would normally be seen on a T i believe. i can take a pic in my pile tomorrow

30. Fordors

Fordors

The attached sketch in the above quote shows how ‘28 and later Ford spindles are modified for six bolt Model T hubs.
    I imagine fitting T hubs to the Willys spindles took some machine work also, maybe bearing spacing, spindle diameters changed, and stub axle shortened. Pull a hub off, no doubt the stub axle will look like the sketch dimensionally but I don’t know how a Model A and later spindle compares to a stock Willys spindle.