Register now to get rid of these ads!

help id these axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blt2go, May 18, 2011.

1. blt2go

blt2go

got this 96a whippet frame, i believe it's a 29 or 30. want to know if these axles are stock or what they are from. tentative plan is to put them under my 31 tudor (minus the hitch). thanks in advance collective hamb brain.

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

The front is a real old mechanical brake with maybe the wrong drums...

but the rear is way newer. I'd take a guess at it being a 57-up Pontiac.

3. blt2go

blt2go

thanks f&j. i thought the rear looked too modern to be original and the hyd. lines kinda confirmed my suspicions. just didn't know what from. i'll search some pontiac threads and see if i can get a visual. thanks again for the look and idea.

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

55 and earlier Pontiac/Olds, 56 was the same style, just has the newer style yolk and not the mechanics style u joint yolk. Also the carrier is attatched with bolts, not a nut and stud deal like the 57 and up rears.

5. blt2go

blt2go

thanks 55chieftain. any idea on what gears came in them. i've got the flathead for my sedan and am really itching to get this bugger on the road. (with the right parts that is). thanks again, you guys are amazing.

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Without knowing what it came out of, no idea. Anywhere from 3:08 to 4:30 ? Your either going to have to pull the axles and carrier to know for sure or count the rotations between the carrier to one rotation of the axle .

7. F&J

F&J

...or, lock one wheel steady, mark the yoke and other wheel...then turn the wheel 2 times exactly to the marks while counting pinion yoke turns.

Example: if the pinion turns almost 3.5 turns, but is definately less than 3.5, then it is likely a 3.42. A 4.11 would turn a bit more than 4 turns on the pinion.

You need to do two turns of the wheel to compensate for the spiders turning.