Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help ID gas tanks and bomber seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

Our latest project is a model A roadster that was originally built in 1955, updated in the early 60's and later locked away in a shed in 1967. It has a pair of 5 gallon aluminum gas tanks mounted above the deck lid that I am curious what they could have been from. It also had a pair of old bomber type bucket seats that are pained army green on the bottom side that make me wonder if they could be some sort of old army surplus. I'm not using the tanks and I haven't decided yet on the seats for this build. Do these factory made tanks look familiar to anyone?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Tanks could be for de icing fluid and seats like that came in British sports cars and panel trucks. Olive drab paint would suggest the latter. Most likely steel instead of aluminum.

3. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

The tank is from a WW II B25 used as a prop feathering tank and the seats look like the ones from a Stearman. They did have three versions of seats and without the upholstery removed its hard to tell.

Attached Files:

squirrel likes this.
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Didn't see the bottom of the other one next to it. Does look more like an aircraft seat.

5. Mo rust

Mo rust

I'll get some better pictures of the seats. As for the gas tanks, Sum Fun nailed it. These look just like the picture that he posted. The knowledge base that is available here from the hamb members is amazing!