Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help. I need all opinions, before I jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtroad, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

For sum time, I've wanted a 30's coupe. I've looked at a few, but none have turned my crank.
    Today, I was surfing E Bay. There I saw a 31 5 window that made me sick to my pants. Its full fendered, with a 392 Hemi auto, Heidit suspension. I'm in love. BUT, the price is at the top of my budget. By the time I land it in Canada, I'm looking at around $60 large (not counting the divorce). I would to have some feed back from my brother HAMBers. Is this a wise investment/Toy? :confused::confused:
    !BnE,llw!mk~$(KGrHqEH-CkEtrbzuq)hBLiBWZTGrw~~_12.jpg

216_V200910291641524.jpg

216_V20091029164152.jpg

216_V200910291641526.jpg

216_V2009102916415216.jpg

216_V2009102916415222.jpg
    The Wife said," Think about it, ask about it, and Think about it again. I'm going to fly down to Charlotte and have a up close and personal look on Monday. I will have to put my other projects on hold for a while, thats not a problem. DAMNIT<, why couldnt I just collect comic books. It's a lot of money. :confused:

2. That is a lot of dough!

3. That's insane! $60K? I bought this 2 days ago for $20K, and THAT'S a bit high (until I saw this thread). But, it's got a lot of cool fabbed up parts. The builder was an aircraft mechanic/fabricator, and it shows throughout. Look at the thread I started with some of it's details
    [​IMG]

4. If you want the car, go for it. If nothing else, make them an offer.......they might just take it......with the economy the way it is.

5. Looks like a nice ride! Is it for sale by a dealer? Perhaps you could work something out - like having them eat the cost of delivery or some such compensation? They may "dicker" a wee bit with you there waving greenbacks (Not Loonies!) in there faces... ;)

Best of luck in your quest!

-Dave

p.s. If you think you are in "lust" with the car now - wait 'til you get up close and personal!!! You are in big trouble... :D

6. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I know that feeling well. Still I think thats just to much $ for that car or pretty much any A. Theres a lot of really nice cars out there now for less including some steel Deuces.

Now, if you just gotta have it go for it!! Its a nice looking car but don't look at as anything other then an "investment" in fun!!! It looks like from the pics that its a dealer/broker that has the car so you will pay a premium anyway.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That's a ton of money for a Model A...It better be in the most exquisite of shape...and it better run like a scalded ape...and it better be "wife" friendly cuz you know damn good and well if it isn't you're never going to hear the end of it.

R-

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

At the 45k asking price plus the 15k miscellanious to get it home, I don't think it's a good investment. Not many automobiles are. Could you build that car with all the parts for less than $45,000? More than likely, yes, much less, unless the Hemi is "built." In my opinion, I see that car sitting in the showroom a long while for 45k.

9. At $60k not alot of room for a significant increase or much of a market in that price range.

How many have you actually looked at? By looked at I mean sat in, drooled on, talked with the builder in person?

$60k buys alot these days. For $60k I don't know why you couldn't buy a nice $25k driver, drive it awhile refine your tastes and then throw another $15k - 20k at it and have one that is done exactly the way you want it.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

You are looking for opinions. I think it is well too much money for that car. Love the Hemi and the general stance. The interior is incredibly dated and not in a good way. You can do WAY better.

That being said, do what turns your crank!

11. Nice buy Groucho!! Our $60,000.00 after removing transport, duty, taxes etc. and the value of our dollar probably puts the car closer to $40K U.S.? Still a fair bit, but not as bad as the $60K looks to you 'Merkins... :D

-Dave

12. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

60k is a ton of money for a model A, that would not be a good investment, if it's what you want and you can afford it it might not be a bad deal for you. turning that car over for a profit would be very difficult, and quite frankly you can buy some pretty amazing cars for less money

13. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

It loks like a nice car... BUT, man that's HIGH DOLLAR. If it's the one you can't live without it then get it, but look before you leap. Groucho made a nice score for $40K less. Personally, I'd keep shopping.

14. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Groucho
    know that there is more than likely cheaper one's out there. This has got me all consumed. I looked at the pictures, and said " That car is ME. Your right, it's a lot of money.
    Your's is sweet Thanks man

RMR&C
    That's kinda what I was thinkin. Thanks

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well.......yesterday I would have told you you'd be out of you mind to buy that car.

Today I was diagnosed with cancer and have a slightly different perspective. Today I'll tell you to live your life to the fullest, as long as it doesn't affect your family unit. Nothing, but nothing, is more important than family, certainly not a bunch of steel & iron.

Just my 2¢

16. Wow TagMan! Sorry to hear that.

17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

$60,000 dollars for a Model A? I'd have a hard time with that. I don't think I could muster up $60K for a Deuce.

I think you should wait.

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Well,

60 large is not the TRUE price ... that is your price in Canada ... with shipping, currenty exhange rates and border fees I guess.

He wants 45 large ... which is still STUPID money for that car IMHO.
    He is a well known car dealer here in the area. I have been to his place with friends a few times and EVERYTHING he has ... is 30 to 40 per cent too HIGH IMHO.

He sells on consignment ... and gets monthly " storage fee " on the vehicles he has in stock.

A friend of mine took his pretty nice 54 Chevrolet ( 2 door, nice paint, V8, Turbo 350 ) to him and consigned it. My friend needed 14 grand ... but the DEALER ... had it listed for 22 grand .. and turned down $17,500. ( my friend had another guy OFFER HIM $17,500 ... to see what the dealer would do :( )

I know the guy has to make a profit ... but he called my friend ( after the $17,500 offer ) and told him if he would reduce his price to 12 grand ... he had the 54 sold.

The dealer is a SLIME ball IMHO ...
    Who ever REALLY owns the Model A ... would most likely LOVE to NET 30 grand

19. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

That makes sense. I have looked at about 5 in the last year. They were all cheaper, by a long shot. None of them really did it for me. It is a dealer that has it on consignment. their asking $45 large for it. I have to get it to Ontario, pay the exchange, the Tax 15%, the duty and on and on. It's times like this I wish, I lived in the Great state of North Carolina, it would save a lot of hassle. :confused:

20. If you actually have $60K, I'd show that pile of money a bit more respect. I don't care how the car ends up at $60K, it's still $60K and deserves more respect than to get THAT car home. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I can't believe, with that kinda money, you can't find SOMETHING cool in your country that will save you thousands. Trust this, once the novelty of that car wears off, AND IT WILL, you'll be kicking yourself for putting yourself that deep in debt for a lousy car, especially a Model A

21. Barz51

Barz51

Too much for an A!

This should be a poll, I want to vote.

22. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Man, I'm sorry to hear this. God Bless you.
    2 years ago, I was in a serious car accident. I lost the use of my left hand and fore arm, and my left leg was cut off from ubove the knee. I know what life is. Too short. My wife told me that she will support me, what ever i do. I just need to do the right thing. I aint known for that.

23. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Save your money. No way tha car is worth $45K let alone the $60K it would cost you. Trust me, you will find another car that fits your needs and desires. To answer you question, "Is it a good investment?", in a word, NO!

24. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. I called them. They seem to think their giving it away. I think I'm going to keep looking. I've been luckey with my investments in my life. I have a decent budget to work with. but that dosnt mean that I should throw it away. I'm like everyone else, I took a lot of chances and worked hard to get it. But I may still go see it and if it's good, I'll lowball it. What can they say "NO". My wife say's that every nite to me.:rolleyes:

25. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

DAMNIT<, why couldnt I just collect comic books. It's a lot of money. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Issue #1 Superman just sold for cool million+. Hope that puts it in perspective. lol Nice car, the best advice you have gotten so far is from yourself, going to look it over in person.

26. Barz51

Barz51

Keep your eye on the HAMB classifieds, there are always cool cars popping up there.

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Shit I'll sell you my 32 for $59,000

28. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Good advice. Thank's for that. Sometimes we let our wants cloud our better judgement. I'm going to look at it. And look at some others.

Thanks again
    Dusty

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Alright $58,000

30. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

You keep commin down, I may be interested. I'm in no hurry....LOL

Hay!! I made it to Grenade Inspector.:cool: