Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! Edelbrock (carb), not sure what is the deal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nulbmanager, Jul 27, 2012.

1. nulbmanager

nulbmanager

Okay so here it goes: I sold my car earlier in the week, stock 260 pickup crate motor with 600 edelbrock manual choke. I changed the intake gaskets and put everything back together, prior to this car ran just fine no issues drove fine, etc. I had a hell of a time getting it to fire back up and finally did and after some fighting with it got it time about 10 before tdc. Starts up right away and idles fine, in gear fine, but when go to givie it gas in gear it sputters and bogs down and when I let off smooths its self out. I've tried messing the mixture screws, tried with them about 3 turns out and its worse so I have them about 5-6 turns out....anything to check for? My issue is it ran just fine prior to this and now its acting up? Is the carb just flooded?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

600cfm seems like a lot for a 260. Maybe try a 500cfm. Did you change fuel pumps? Edelbrock 600cfm likes 6 psi.

3. nulbmanager

nulbmanager

no same everything...

4. If everything with the way the carb ran before was fine, I don't think you should be looking at the carb - unless it was dropped or something got in it. It couldn't have changed all by itself just by doing a R&R for the manifold gaskets. I would be looking at timing, plug wires crossed, and or an intake leak myself.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

If the carb didn't sit long and you just changed the intake, I'd suspect a vacuum leak, especially with the A/F screws that far out.

6. on my edlebrocks i dont turn them out past 1 1/2 turns at most

7. If it ran fine with no issues, why did you change intake gaskets ?

When a new problem appears- always go back to the last thing you fixed

8. That's about the same for me. I had similar problems once. A thorough cleaning helped. Then a new accelerator pump and different rate springs fixed all problems.

9. oj

oj

The others have given good advice, i would jack some timing into it. It sounds very retarded. Turn the distr counterclockwise a good jag and see if it starts to make power. I'm not sure what you mean by 'fighting with it' to get it to about 10degrees but something there don't sound right. I would go thru your procedure step by step, it sounds like you left the vacuum connected when you set the timing.

10. chevymike

chevymike

Someone on another board had a similar problem and it turned out to be the accelerator pump plunger. The plunger was old and cracked, not allow it to put in the extra fuel when you stepped on the gas.

11. birdman42

birdman42

Was the vac. advance unhoocked when you set the timing? Also check for vaccuum leaks. If it ran fine before it still.

12. nulbmanager

nulbmanager

no vac advance, its a mallory unilite mech advance. I have always had the set screws that way and always did a good job, sort of sounds like it may be the accelerator pump, im having someone come by here and help me check/verify tdc, so ill go from there and retime. Thanks for the replys

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. This is kind of important

15. brad chevy

brad chevy

31 Vicky asked why you changed the gaskets in the 1st place ? If all you did was change the intake gasket either you screwed up the timing or didn.t seal the intake,carbs don.t just go bad that quick.

16. nulbmanager

nulbmanager

I changed the gaskets because I sold the car and he wanted them changed.
    The motor came to me already timed, turns out there were two marks on the balancer with a timing tab on the timing cover. One mark had a black mark on it that I assumed they used for timing the motor turns out they used the other, and I know if I find tdc that figures itself out, but harder to do that when you by yourself, but runs pretty good now, its going to denver so hes going to have to probably rejet or retime anyway...thanks for help everyone:D

17. Gator

Gator

Sounds like maybe the choke's hanging up, but I'm sure you checked that, right?

18. I'll have to remember to request the intake manifold gaskets be changed on the next car I buy.
    I keep forgetting to do that- fuck!

19. srs1

srs1

did you by any chance turn the carb upside down for any reason? there is all kinds of horrible shit that settles in those 2 low spots in the bowl.

20. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

vacum leak IMHO