Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP chevy vibration dampner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hlhpa, Jun 22, 2010.

1. hlhpa

hlhpa

I have an engine that the timing mark does not line up with timing tab, I am guessing some one put it together with wrong vibration dampner, it could be the timing mark has rotated also. but if it is the wrong dampner does anyone know how far they are off? I have it running now and the mark is about 2 1/2'' above the timing tab.
    Another question. If you only setting the timing by listening, would you advance until in bings and back off until it starts good.
    :confused::confused:thanks for input.

2. brandon

brandon

later stuff has the pointer behind the water pump....or about 2 1/2" from the other one.....:D

as for the setting by ear , sounds like you got the idea

3. chevy moved the marks around through the years

it's also possible the outer ring has slipped

i suggest to bring # 1 cylinder up to TDC and remark you balancer or change your timing pointer. that's the only way you will know for sure your timing is right

4. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Both instances have happened to me. Setting your own TDC is the only way to be sure.

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you can put a timing tape on the balancer to match the pointer if you put #1 at TDC. but make dang sure the balancer ring has not slipped inside the rubber. unless there is a concern with keeping your current pully setup, a new one is cheap insurance.