Register now to get rid of these ads!

help! adjusting clutch on my 53 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Feb 14, 2010.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

On my 53 f100 I went out to adjust my clutch today cause it felt like it needed it. Seemed like the clutch was releasing very close to top. I looked in the factory shop manual for the proper technique just to double check.

So get the truck jacked up and loosen lock nut and bring adjustment nut out some tighten lock nut. Lower truck put in neutral and start truck but now I cant get it into gear. Trying to figure out whats wrong here as there was lots of rod left to to bring the nut out more. I am tempted to try bringing the adjustment nut out more but kind of nervous.

Any ideas or what am I doing wrong? Also when I bought the truck about a year ago he claimed it had a newer clutch and it would seem that way since the adjustment nut was pretty close to the threads closet to the rear of the truck.

2. R Pope

R Pope

You went too far. Thread the nut about halfway back and try the clutch again.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What kind of toe play do you have? It should be about an inch.

4. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Seems like the clutch has no real pressure. Its super easy to push down.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You adjust the clutch to get the proper toe play. The pedal should be able to be pushed in by hand an inch before it gets hard to depress. If you can't adjust it to get that 1" toe play at the pedal then something is broken in the clutch linkage.

6. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

From the underside nothing looks like its broken. I only backed off the nut about 1/4" max. Should I try backing off the nut more and see what happens?

7. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

Maybe you adjusted the incorrect direction and the cluch is always engaged or is that disengaged?

8. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I think thats what I did. I think I have it fixed and am going out to test it. While I had it up and tools out I wanted to change the fluid in transmission, for the plug that is used to drain the fluid and add fluid. What type of tool do I need to remove it? It looks like a square.

9. gafridge

gafridge

Usually it takes a 3/8 or 1/2 drive ratchet,I usually put an extension on the ratchet.Good luck,hope you fixed your clutch problem. Stony