Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! 66 TBird sequential turn signals....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333 Half Evil, Mar 25, 2010.

1. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Oh boy...I've got this 66 TBird in the shop, and one of the issues was no turn signals. So, start checking fuses-power and find a broken contact in the fuse box. Solder contact and now have power for turn signals. First try, I can hear the motor run on the "control board" in the trunk but not blinking. It only ran when turning right, not left. Tested power at the "control board" and found a bad connection(corroded). Cleaned them all and tryed again. I know have the right turn signal blinking, works fine. Turn left, and it will usually blink once, then the indicator on top of the fender stays on continuosly, but the front and rear lights are blinking..?..

There is a relay under the dash that does actually "click" like a regular signal flasher. I clicks regularly when turning right, and clicks only once when turning left. When it clicks, the indicator lights on top of the fenders blink. When turning left, if it does click the one time ,the indicator light does blink once then is on continuously. What I'm wondering is this, does the relay under the dash only control the indicator lights on top of the fenders, and not the actual front and rear turn signal bulbs?

If so, does that mean the relay is bad?

Can the relay work for one direction but not the other?

If not, what would cause the indicator light on the fender to be on continuously, when the front and rear turn signals are blinking?

The sequetial lights are working correctly. The motor on the "control board" seems to work the same turning right or left...the only things I've found that don't seem to be working in conjunction with the front and rear signal bulbs is the fender mounted indicators and the relay under the dash. The relay is a rectangular piece with two mounting screws holding it to the side of the column support. It has three flat male spades that a harness with femal spades plugs onto it. There are two wires on two contacts and one wire on the third.

I want to thank you guys in advance for any help you can supply!!

Al

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

They make a replacement motherboard that is all modern electrics for about $100 that plugs right into the original harness. It will solve 95% of the t-bird issues forever.

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

OK,who sells it?

Other than replacing everything, is there anyone who may know what is wrong with the one I'm working on?

I guess to simplify the overall question, are the indicators on the fenders a different circuit than the front and rear turn signals?