Register now to get rid of these ads!

?HELP! 61' 394 Olds blow by

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cisco88, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cisco88

cisco88

Here what is going on. About a couple of weeks ago, I had my car running perfect. All of a sudden I took it out for a spin around the neigborhood and the car quit on me. Luckily, I was close to home and had my wife bring over a extra fuel pump that I had. Now after installing this pump. The car just doesn't run right. The eng shakes a little and I get a bunch of blow by out of the filler tube. I have a pcv hooked to it for ventilation.

When I first got the car this was happening to me and I changed the points to pertronix and the blow by stopped. Don't know if related, but it quit shooting oil out.

Now, I had changed the pertronix to points cause the car would not start about 3 weeks ago after replacing timing chain. Thinking that it was defective pertronix. I was wrong, it was the coil, burned up from not running it with out a resistor. Anyway, I put the pertronix back on the car ran, but still the car runs rough at idle and I still have the blow by.

What are your thoughts?

Thanx in advance,
    Frank

2. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

ttt for a fellow cc memeber

3. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

well....i had a simalar problem with smoking out of the road draft tube on my 53 olds 303. if the smoke looks like rings huffing out then its more then likely a broken oil ring. thats what had happen to me. i dont know if this is the cause of the problem your having but ....hope it helps some how. the ruff idle can be a millon different problems. carb setting,vacume leak, timing off...i would do a compression check too...........john

4. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

When the fuel pump failed, did it leak gasoline into the crankcase? Is it over full of oil? Take the oil filler cap off, do you smell gasoline?
    I've had fuel pump diaphrams rupture and put a few quarts of gasoline into the crankcase. It really cleaned the engine up inside.

Lucky667

5. cisco88

cisco88

No, I beleive that there was no fuel in the oil.

6. skunx1964

skunx1964

bad fuel pump washed the bearings in my old 65 valiant like that. ended up w a bad rod knock and low oil pressure, but not think it really affected the rings too much, or caused too much smokin

7. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI