Register now to get rid of these ads!

help 53 desoto transmission question?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mackster, Aug 20, 2006.

1. mackster

mackster

I have a 53 desoto I chopped it dropped it and so far it has been fairly easy. Until I decided to do away with the three on tree and go with a floor shifter. I am using a generic JC whitney three speed converion kit. MY QUESTION IS
    I have two selector arms the closest to the front of the car has three settings and the back on ly has two and it seems to be spring loaded. DO I have a selector type translission where I can not use the floor shifter???
    I am attaching some pictures to see if any MOPAR guys or tranmission expert can help...thanks ALL!

Attached Files:

2. Bugman

Bugman

no, you CAN'T use the Whitney shifter. You'll need to find a Mopar specific one. My '55 Ply is the same way. It's an early Mopar thing :(

3. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Look up Howard Tarnoff over on the P15-D24.com forum, he had a floor shifter for an early Plymouth tranny, but I'm not sure what the difference is between yours and his... Your tranny looks a bit different too, which one is it?

Pete

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You need to find a shifter for '39-'56 Mopar transmissions. They've been out of production for years, so it's a matter of hunting. I've only seen two versions, with overdrive or without. Both Ansen and Drag Fast made them at one time.

5. mackster

mackster

Thanks Blueskies I really appreciate your help ,I am now in contact with those kind people at the website and it seems like they are all trying to help me. MG!

6. mackster

mackster

O.K. i got an idea, i am just gonna make one from scratch. Does any one know what the arm selectors are suppose to be? I mean there is two arms and the front one has three positions and the second one is spring loaded. I can't figure out how to get 1st thru 3rd and then reverse and neutral wit hjust four configuration options. HELP??!!!???!!!!