Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! 31 model a coupe top wood kit or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadtriprod, Oct 27, 2010.

1. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

I am having a tough time spending ALOT of money on about $25 of wood for the top kit on my 5 window. Does anyone make a steel header and top kit? I know they all vary some but geez.....
    I also will need the quarter window wood kit for $80 each!!!! OWCH!!!! About $600 in kits for some firewood?
    Is there a better reason to stay away from metal other than its easy to trim to fit and tack interior to?

Attached Files:

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Wood looks nice in a model A...
    [​IMG]

3. wood is an inferior product. maybe make the supports out of metal and add wood where necessary. or buy a band saw and cut the wood out yourself.

4. Killer

Killer

have you ever seen a model a wood kit???? especially a top kit??

its definitely not just $25 worth of wood.

5. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

You can make all the wood piece's yourself. It isn't that hard to do. Why pay the big dollar for wood kit's that don't fit all that well.Just a thought........PINCHER

6. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

For sure on this one. Top bows are simple, but that's where it ends. A man would have to be VERY handy in the wood shop to make up a complete top wood kit. Especially the header above the windshield.

7. He,s right. Give it a go with softwood first. If that works half decent try on a piece of hardwood. All you need is a few sharp chisels, a sharp hand-plane and handsaw. Oh , and a hammer. We all have a hammer. For top bows its only the top that has to be curved , not the bottom edge. So use the hand-plane to make the curve by planing the ends of a piece of 1.5"x 1.5".

8. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

I never took the car apart and didnt get any wood with it to go off from. I just bit down and ordered the kits........... I can make some duplicates then....

9. Patdoody

Patdoody

I am in the same boat as you my friend. I keep adding the wood kit to the shopping cart but can never bring myself to click that checkout button. I think I am going to try to wing it and make my own... then after I fail and have wasted my time and a little money, I will spring for the kit. lol

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I made my own top wood pieces (being a wood guy), but it took alot of time to shape all the bows, those wood kits are totally worth it.

11. do you have the metal pieces to connect all the wood?

12. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

Dont have the metal withthe holes for tacking but now have the wood kit and cant use it.....