Register now to get rid of these ads!

Helm's Bakery Trucks

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 348chevy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. 348chevy

348chevy

It is cold here and the car is up on jack stands so I do a lot of thinking. This has nothing to do with HA/GR bgut are any of you old enough to remember the Helm's Bakery Trucks that used to comb the neighborhoods of California. They were unique in that they had a tiller instead of a steering wheel and the driver stood in the middle of the truck. The bakery stuff was out of this world. Has anyone found one and restored it?:)Roy

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

3. sololobo

sololobo

That would have been a treat to see. In the thread of pictures from days gone buy on here, a bunch of pix of the Helms trucks in action. Rally cool operation, ah, those were the days. ~Sololobo~

4. ThingyM

ThingyM

OH!! Remember the Helms Bakery trucks quite well. You could almost smell the fresh baked goods coming down the street. The drivers would pull out the drawers, And they would be full of doughnuts and cookies etc.. BTW,, They are refurbishing the old Helms bakery bldg in Glendale now..There is a street rodded Helms truck here locally,,Saw it a few times. But don't know exactly where it is..

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I used to hear the whistle and start salivating...I still get "donut cravings" now and then.:D

6. os101king

os101king

there's one of these at the Petersen on wilshire in LA I believe... just got to go there. just checked my photo... yep.

http://yfrog.com/71img0558nfj

7. mortecai

mortecai

I was intrigued about the thought of a trudk that steered with a tiller but I have not seen this in any of the photos. Does anyone have a picture of the trucks that 348chevy described in the beginning of t is thread that have a mid frame tiller instead of a steering wheel?

8. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The early Helms coaches were built by Fagoel in Kent Ohio, none of them had tiller steering, and powered by an OHB Hercules flathead, I have a 30 here to restore and a 31 that belongs to the same guy in Chatsworth thats the one you saw in Fontana in 04.

9. DUB

DUB

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011