Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Minneapolis

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Gasser_Dave, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Hello all, my name is Dave and I live in Minneapolis. Been lurking for quite some time now and I think I align pretty well with what you guys are about. I come from the world of building bikes for the last 29 years and before that I had a couple of hot rods while in the Air Force. Nothing special, but they were loud and I was hooked.

My inspiration came from my cousin named Steve Spetman who lived in Council Bluffs Iowa. I used to stay at their house while my folks went to Vegas on vacation. I did not mind because Steve was a racer, dirt bike rider, and eventually tried to make it on his own in NASCAR. While he did not make it far, I respected the work it took to get there. The one thing that always stuck in my mind was his 55 (I think, tri-five at least) gasser he used to race.

I do not have a car right now as I have just sold my last chopper due to being laid off after 21 years at Best Buy, so I am waiting to get back on track with my new job, then concentrate on getting a car to work on. Why give up bikes? Well, I am now 49 years old, and have had numerous operations for bad joints, and after a nasty bout with prostate cancer, I am in no shape to ride a hardtail chopper and I refuse to pay 30k for a new HD bagger. Plus it is time to involve my wife who hates to ride bikes but is open to a loud, fast car we can go to shows in.
    I am currently lurking on here and soaking things up so I can hit the ground running when I get a car. I am searching for a 49-52 Chevy as my starting point. It won't be 100% period correct, but built for what I want it to do. But no Rat-rods for me!
    Here are a couple of pics of bikes I have built over the years... They are gonna be hard to give up, but I am looking forward to getting a car!

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

2. Welcome and good luck all around!

3. hallrods

hallrods

Welcome from Wisconsin nice bikes you have skills.

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

WELCOME FROM WI---------Gary

5. Welcome from Lake Elysian, MN

6. r.l.r

r.l.r

Welcome from New Prague. Good looking bikes you have there, just changed over to a Street Glide last year and it has saved my back. Send me a PM if you are interested in a 53 I know where there is one that would be a great starting point for a gasser, and it is pretty close.

7. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Welcome wi nice bikes I got 79 custom built wide glide that is built like a chopper that my wife tells me I'm to old for

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Nice intro! Welcome from Afton MN.

9. Welcome from the coast of SC nice looking bikes I have been riding well close to 30 years now on a 2008 road king good luck with that cancer and hope you get to build that gasser

10. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

welcome from Iowa.......hope your staying warm up there, its colder than a well diggers ass here.

11. 392modela

392modela

Hello from Viroqua Wisconsin

posted with a box of crayons on the outhouse wall

12. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Welcome from Kentucky. I have a '50 chevy coupe that I am building as a mild late '50's custom...

13. Welcome from frigid Langlade county!