Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heidts IFS control arm bushing replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Nov 17, 2011.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I'm trying to find a rubber bushing replacement for the PU bushings in a Heidts IFS control arm. Heidts says the PU bushing is their own design and therefore there is no crossover but I thought someone on here might have found one. Thanks for the help.

2. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Is PU polrurethane? Do you have a Superride or Mustang II. If you are superride equipped you are stuck with the polyurethane. You can buy something close from energy but you are better off just getting them from heidts and knowing that they will work.

3. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for getting back to me, they are polyurethane bushings for a superride and I'm trying to replace them with a rubber bushing if I can find one that fits.

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I'm curious why you want to change them to rubber? Polyurethane will last longer.

5. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

It's a personal preference, I like the flexibility of the rubber bushing better and wouldn't have to put up with the creaking of the PU bushing or having to pull the arm apart every 4-5000 miles to lubricate the bushing.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Drill them with a lube passage and install a zerk fitting so you can lube them. No more squeaks, and easy to maintain.

7. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for the idea but I want to get a more flexible bushing, if I can't find one then your idea is a great help.

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

1971BB427 beat me to it but I was going to suggest the same thing.

My sedan has a super ride II with poly bushings and it squeaks very little.

9. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Still looking for the rubber bushing but I really do like your ride, nice job!

10. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Thanks. You might try calling Heidts and see if they might have a part number for the rubber version of the polyurethane bushings.

11. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I did and they said no but I got the impression that the early IFS's may have had rubber bushings. They did say there was no crossover so I'm going to try some of the local spring shops and see if they have anything. Again thanks for the help.

12. If you come up with anything would you let me know? As I would like to try some also.

13. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I won't get at this until the second week of December but I'll be glad to let you know what I find. I'll post here and PM you, if you hear of anything I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.