Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEI upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64impala, Oct 13, 2012.

1. 64impala

64impala

Previous upgraded from stock distributor to HEI system with ballast, engine has been starting and running fine.
    Question: Is it normal for the "ballast" to warm up while the ignition switch is in the "On" position?

Make: Chevrolet
    Year: 1964
    Model: Impala
    Engine: 327 cui
    Tran: 350 Auto

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yes but you shouldnt be using a ballast with an HEI. It needs full voltage to work properly and using a ballast will shorten its lifespan as well as hinder performance.

3. 64impala

64impala

I've been using this configuration for years with no issues? See Attachment

Attached Files:

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That works fine with the Mallory Unilite as it is designed that way but an HEI needs a full 12 Volts to the distributor all the time it is running to function properly.

All resistors that are working correctly build up heat in the when they are working, that is part of how they work. That is also why they are always encased or held in a ceramic holder.

5. Model T1

Model T1

The ballast resister is there to reduce voltage to a points type distributor to help make the points last longer. It is made of ceramic to absorb the extra heat it creates.
    An HEI needs a full 12 volts to operate properly. Look at any car with an HEI distributor and you will notice there is no ballast resistor.

Sorry Mr 48 I was typing and talkin on phone. You beat me.