Register now to get rid of these ads!

headliner backing foam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53PlymCran, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

So, I have my headliner/bows removed, its backing removed, wiring reinstalled, and a new headliner (and will soon have the windlace). Are there any suggestions for what to use for the headliner backing?

[​IMG]

2. Are you using the stock bows to reinstall the headliner???If so,you can glue up some of the aluminized back insulation...be sure to use a glue that will not release from the heat of the sun.

3. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

yeah, stock bows... I've been looking at jute padding, I found a 6'x3' section for about $15 a piece.

4. The foil backed stuff holds up better than bare jute padding and it's a little lighter. Jute sometimes smells funny when it gets old like wet rope on an old ship. Foil also helps reflect the heat that comes through the roof on a hot day.

If you cut a few long skinny pie shaped notches in the padding, it'll conform to the dome shape of the roof better.

5. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

what kind of place would you get that from? is it the same stuff used for homes?
    maybe I'm not typing in the right key words for my searches, but I can't find anything like that...

6. Like this stuff. It's like ~3/8" thick felt backed by foil.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/COMPLETE-INSULATION-KITS/GP_2010772_N_111+10201+600002669_10101.jcw

It's a lot cheaper than that at swap meets. I think 3M "super 90" spray adhesive is probably okay for that if you follow the directions for "extra strong hold". Some of the cheaper spray adhesives don't hold all that well under the extreme heat you might get under your roof -- especially a black car in the hot sun.

If you want it really quiet, try some stuff called Dynamat Xtreme. It sticks really well and holds up to heat well, and it really dampens that "tin can" noise of the interior of the car.

7. belair

belair

Here's another tip-the material that you staple the headliner to is often brittle and hard to work with. My dad swears by a strip of a serpentine belt.

8. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

Thanks for the link!
    I was checking out the dynamat, and boy, is that stuff expensive!
    The headliner "bracket" has metal strips that are screwed in along the top, with little teeth along it that hooks the material...
    Hah.... before I even start on it, I still have to finish running all my wiring through the overhead.... and pillars and whatnot...

9. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

That's a good idea to put a new tack strip in. I put a new one in a 41 Chevy coupe when I did the headliner. The tack strip was full of holes and brittle.

10. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

there was something that a strip of stuff was stapled to along the door pillar between the front and rear doors, I'll try the belt on that area.

11. check with Lobucrod, he sells a great insulation, he's an alliance vendor and can probably give you some great advice about installing the insulation. www.lobucrod.com