Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Headlight switch wiring help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53FordCustomline, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with some wiring? I have a 1953 Ford Customline that I am completely re wiring. I'm using a EZ-Wiring kit and am going crazy over the dash portion of the install. I am currently stuck on the headlight switch portion. Can anyone tell me what the terminal are on the switch? Letter definitions maybe? Thanks

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

didnt we have this thread about 2 days ago?
    Apply 12v to the biggest wire, see whats hot in the off position. Thats your brakes, that wire goes to the brake switch Pull the switch to first position, thats taillights and parking lights. Full on is your taillights and the wire going to the hi beam/lo beam.
    Wad eye leave out?:)

3. That is definitely helpful however I can't confirm where the the 12v wire is landed in the back of the switch. I'm also I little confused on the brake switch and door switch wiring. I see a orange wire that's labeled brake switch power and a white wire that says brake switch. I need to figure out how that all tied in.

4. Is it an original Ford switch with those funky fuses? The one out of my '59 has some letters next to the terminals, but I'm using an aftermarket switch with the new harness. You should be able to find a diagram of your switch somewhere online. Your harness should have a schematic/diagram with it too.

5. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I just used an EZ wire kit in my 40 Ford with Flaming River column. double check the directions, if I remember right, the orange wire is power supply to brake light switch & white is either fed by or fed to the turn signal switch. if all else fails, call tech support. I used them a few times & they were great.

6. The is a p/n FAA-11654 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430339243.279197.jpg

7. Had to open the barn door for this wiring2_zps0ce499a2.jpg

8. 54vicky

54vicky

on the picture of switch you posted the middle on right is power for HL letter B

9. Thanks guys. Let me go at it again!!!

10. 'Mo

'Mo

Bookmarked.

11. b-bob

b-bob

I saved this. I am just starting my wiring in my A too.

12. marfen

marfen
    from sask

I used the old standard chevy headlight switch that most kits are set up for. easy. Speaking of EZ wiring their tech guy is top notch, hopefully they start putting in better instructions in their kits ala Painless as that's the only problem I see with their kits.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

This is a 52-54 Ford wiring diagram: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/wiring-diagram-52-54-ford.40980/ The problem with most aftermarket wiring kits is they are " GM friendly" and GM switches have two power leads and Fords only have one so they don't play nice with each other,you could install a GM style switch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-G...tor-/141013239716?hash=item20d50b47a4&vxp=mtr There is a section in this little book that shows a way around it http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Book-How-To-Wire-Your-Street-Rod,2824.html

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

15. Definition of the letters on back of the headlight switch. I think I should be good with all that gather info. Only thing left would be how to tie in door switch to the circuit to turn on dome lights.

16. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430533054.440770.jpg

This might help some people with there turn signal switch.

17. garyf

garyf

The dash lights should go to the rheostat terminal on the switch The dome light switch should go to the terminal thats powered when the h/l switch is turned all the way left.

18. Boden

Boden

hey. what kit are you using. I am rewiring my car also. I am looking for a kit but am having trouble. can you send me a link or a part # please?

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a schematic wiring diagram from ClassicWiring.com it's a laminated and has all the correct colors and connections. $20.00 and worth it before you start.
    Dennis Carpenter and Obsolete Classic Auto Parts Inc. list wiring by what it does starting at either 1949 or 1952. They may list the entire car as a unit but I don't know. Their wiring matches the original colors.
    If you buy on of the modern replacements for a "car" in general there will be way more than what you need stock but way ezier for fuse, relay, locations etc.

20. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

GM method of dome light wiring is 12v hot to the bulb at all times, headlight switch when turned all the way left supplies the ground. Same wire tied into the door jam switches, which ground to the car body when the door opens.To find the grounding terminal on the headlight switch turn the knob all the way left and use a meter to check continuity from the headlight metal case to the terminal you need to connect to. It may be obvious looking at the switch but not always.

dome light.jpg