Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Headlight Stand or Stanchion Compatibility?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Jan 5, 2016.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, I searched on this question and came up dry. SO, I'm gonna ask. I have a specific need but this would be a good place to deposit any info on what lights will fit what stanchions without modification or with modification and how, I reckon.

I'm personally trying to figure out what headlight stanchions will work with a set of 36 ford passenger car headlight buckets (other than 36 ford pas. stanchions). I have been eyeing the COE stands with the turn signals in them, but I'm not sure if they're workable or not. I've also been looking at a set of Plymouth stands wondering if they could be made to work. I don't have either of these stands in front of me to test it out myself.

2. bct

bct

I have some plymouth i can measure for you. What you need?

3. aaggie

aaggie

You might search around and find something that fits but consider making your own. Cut a piece of sheet metal and hammer it to the same contour as the fender or where you want to mount it and another that matches the contour of the light bucket then connect the two with a piece of tubing. It could be a small tube with room to run the wires inside or maybe a piece of exhaust tubing slightly flattened in a vice to make it oval. Lots of possibilities and a good weekend project.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, I'd need to know if there is a ball socket or at least a round opening in the main stem and how big it is on a Plym. The rear, convex, ball on the Plymouth stands would be a concern too as far as the Ford lights go. On a 36 it might not need to be shaved but that's doubtful. Knowing where that is in relation to the center of the post and how big it is would be valuable info.

mqFlMjml5kxDbkp1KYbho-A.jpg
    There are versions of these that are lit for signals, aren't there?

Oh this is very much on my mind as well, I just want to know what bits will work with what and have my options more clearly understood.

5. bct

bct

The ones i have are 36. Im sure the stem is hollow. I've never seen them with signals . I have seen them without the stripes and with stripes/ribs rivited on. i might be a couple of days no internet at the shop.

patmanta likes this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB