Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical header

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Jun 15, 2018.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Putting a 151 Mercruiser 4 banger in a 1928 Chevy pickup and would like to know if anyone makes a header to replace the water manifold. Thanks.

2. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

WHAT? Driving in the water are you?

3. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

If I said I was using a 151ci Chevy II four cylinder would that make a difference?

prewarcars4me and brett4christ like this.
  4. Bwahahaha!!

5. 34Phil

34Phil

Should be a 153, not a 151, if used in a boat. Clifford has a $400 header so that is not really an option.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  6. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

build your own? Intake manifold will be harder to find than exhaust I think. This is a 153 with a 181 head. 20161106_185805_resized_1.jpg

7. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Thanks all. If Clifford has one for $400 it's cheaper than the time to build one. Will check it out.

8. I assume you have a 153 cubic inch Chevy II engine. I have the 181 cubic inch version of that engine in my AVATAR. If that is the case you should be able to use stock automotive manifolds from 1962 through 1970. You should be able to find them in your local junk yard. Be sure to shop in a yard that is connected to the internet and can search the entire country. There is probably at least one out there (maybe even two). How about a wanted ad? Sometimes they will show up at swap meets but it has been a while since I have seen one. How about some pictures of the engine? Particularly interested in the ports as shown in Post #6. I tried to use the Clifford headers in my AVATAR but they wouldn't clear the stock wishbone. This was many years ago, they may have changed their design.

Charlie Stephens

9. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpeg There is an exhaust manifold in the HAMB classifieds for sale $110 suits 153 ,,there's half your problem solved ,,I'm building my own intake ,,and headers ,,eventually ,,

saltflats likes this.
  10. Thinking about it I realize I may have made a bad assumption. Do you want a real header or would a stock cast iron manifold be acceptable? If you would take a stock cast iron manifold you should also search the companies that use these engines for industrial applications, fork lifts, water pumps etc. Another problem you need to look out for is that the cam in a marine application is not the best profile to use in an automobile.

Charlie Stephens

11. RoddyB34

RoddyB34