Register now to get rid of these ads!

header heat problem what should i do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLATHEAD VICKY, Nov 21, 2009.

1. FLATHEAD VICKY

FLATHEAD VICKY

Im building a 49 merc. with a 302 the headers are about 1/2 inch away from the sterring box. and about 2 1/2 inches away from the master cyl. should i wrap the headers? use a heat shield at the master and the sterring box? do you think this will hurt the box? and if i sheild them what should i use ? just metal or should that have some kind of heat barrier on the shield any help would be great thanks chris

2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hey chris, wraping the exhaust in the area of the master is a good idea, there is a company called insulshield technology 7817494971 they make a good product for insulating the floor and exhaust. not cheap but it works. also a heat shield will help. if you have any late model wrecking yards , 02 and up trailblazers have a long shield above the muffler and converter that is an insulator, works good and could be cut up and and formed around pipes or master. to buy it new from gm is exp. look in the bone yards. hope this helps

3. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid

A good header wrap will work just fine. Moroso and others make Header Wrap.

Charles

4. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Get some headerwrap for the O'Reillys catalog or summit, then also, put a thin barrier shield there as a 2nd line if defense..............Why 2 you ask???? About 6 months down the road after driving.....you'll find out....

5. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey CHRIS...jeg's has heat shields for starters, that would work for the box. and maby wrap the box too. actually it might work for the master cylinder to. 2 1/2 inches isn't as bad as it looks. good luck my friend...POP.