Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header Flange I.D.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NYCDrums, Oct 6, 2005.

1. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Hi,

I got my headers off and I found that the headers themselves don't use the standard SBC bolt pattern. There's an adaptor plate bolted onto each head and then the header flange bolts to that plate.

The bolt pattern is not SBC and I'm trying to figure out what engine these headers are made for - if any, they might be custom made - figuring that if I can figure that out, maybe I can find out what brand they are and order new ones.

The heads are SBC 462 heads.

I'm attaching a graphic that I made to show the bolt pattern. (The center ports probably should be closer together, but this is to show the bolt pattern.) I did spend almost 45 minutes on Google trying to find anywhere where there were pictures of exhaust bolt patterns and I couldn't find anything. If anyone knows of a site like that, please post a link.

Here's the bolt pattern graphic:

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Actually the headers are made for the SBC, but it's a racing type header and they use the adapter flange so it's easier to get the header bolts on and off. With big tube headers and the stock bolt location, you can't get the bolts on! so they figured out how to make life easy by making the big bolt pattern flange.

3. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

They are either Hooker or Stahl bolt pattern.
    It allows much bigger tubes than a conventional sbc pattern.
    Need the dimensions to know which for sure.
    Hooker is a slightly smaller bolt pattern than Stahl. If the flanges have elongated holes they are made to fit both.
    If the gaskets have elongated holes you can lay them up on the headers and make the determination,If the bolt holes are at the outer edge the pattern is Stahl ,If they are on the inner edge they are Hooker.
    T.OUT

4. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Stahl has seen pictures of them and says they aren't theirs.

What can I measure exactly to be sure?

Thanks for the replies.

5. squirrel

squirrel

probably not any help but here's part of the 1989 Hooker catalog.

If there's a part number stamped on the headers I could look it up.

6. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Squirrel, thanks.

I'll check for a part number tomorrow. And I have a set of BB Ford headers you could look up for me. I don't remember the number for sure right now, but I think it was 2280. They're BB Ford fenderwell headers. I checked the number myself and got the wrong part, some SBC part I think. I guess Hooker changed their parts numbering system within the past 5 years.

I'll get the fenderwell part number and if you can look that up for me it would be a big help. I need to sell them and I know what engine they're for and that they're fenderwell headers, I just don't know what car(s) they fit. I bought them to modify to use with my 510" Caddy motor. But I don't need them now.

7. squirrel

squirrel

the Ford Hooker headers in the 89 catalog all have four digit numbers starting with 6, so you might need to look again at that number....let me know!

8. Cartoonist33

Cartoonist33

It fits the Brodix SBC round hole spread port heads. First designed heads used a D shaped port. Some of the later designs and some of the "port monsters" made them big 'n round.

9. Mutt

Mutt

As stated, they are SBC racing headers. These are 2" primaries, and are supposed to be Hookers. L2954 is stamped on the flange.

Mutt

10. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Here's some pics of the headers.

The first one is the inside of the passenger header.

The second one is the outside of the passenger header.

The third one is a closeup of the flange from the outside.

The fourth one a closeup of the flange from the inside.

The fifth one is the driver's side header with the seperate #1 tube.

The heads aren't Brodix. They're definitely 462 Chevy heads.

The part number on those BB Ford headers is: L 2280 02 00.

Attached Files:

11. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I just measured my Hookers,:p LOL,and the Hooker bolt pattern on the front and rear tubes is 2 13/16" C/C and the center ports measured at an angle across the tube from bottom hole to top center hole is 2 9/16" C/C and uses 5/16" bolts.

If your headers have a larger pattern than the above mentioned(approximately 1/4") they are Stahl pattern.

That is not to say the headers are either Stahl or Hooker that is just to say the bolt pattern is one or the other.

If they are Hooker they will have a plate on one of the tubes that says so.If they are Stahl you will find the name stamped in the outside of the flange somewhere between the front and rear tubes when you clean and inspect them carefully a lot of times the stamp is very faint.

T.OUT

12. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Upon closer inspection of your pics it appears that the flanges are square ended and have a hole top and bottom in the corners as well as diagonally across the flange.
    I believe that style of flange uses a Hooker diagonal pattern but I don't know who made 'em.I had a set of S/C style "Step" headers with that bolt pattern once and they had weird adapters(6 separate pieces),but I never knew what brand they were(maybe Lemmons?) I just aquired 'em in an all or none deal.
    T.OUT

13. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Thanks YB. I'll measure them and look for a name on them somewhere. My Hooker BB Ford headers have a part number on the flange, but these headers don't have the original flange. I think the original was cut off and the new flange was welded on.

Also the Hooker tag wasn't on older Hooker parts. I don't know when they started attaching it, but it wasn't there in the late '70's. Depending on how old these headers are, there wouldn't be a tag. And there isn't. And with the slip on collectors, if the original collectors were removed and the slip ons were added the way the flanges seem to have been, the Hooker logo stamped on them would be gone too.

I wouldn't mind copying these myself, but I don't have the welding equipment.

14. squirrel

squirrel

the Hooker header number 2280 is for a big block Chevy in a 60s Nova...

also the flange on your headers has only one notch at the temp sender area, the hooker flanges seem to have two notches, one front and one back, so maybe yours are some other brand.

Lotsa people made headers.

15. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

I wonder if that's what they are and Summit fucked up. They're supposed to be big block Ford and I bought them to use with my 510" Caddy motor. Doesn't really matter, they're getting sold anyway.

It's probably better for reselling them if they are BBC though.

Thanks squirrel.