Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having trouble pulling the 331

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nowaxn5, Jun 20, 2012.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

It's probably a simple oversight.
    It's time to yank the disabled 331. I removed the doghouse, freed the engine and removed the trans mount. I was going to leave the trans on and pull it all together but the tail shaft is hanging up on the x member. The oil pan is hanging up on the center link. What am I forgetting?

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

Could be alot of things like speedometer cable, shift linkage, exhaust, ground cables or connections. Just have to take a good peek. Does the driveshaft have a slip yoke or a bolt on yoke?

3. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Not sure about the yoke... but all the others have been disconnected. Guess I'm not sure what a bolt on yoke is?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bolt on yoke is one that is in the back of the trans with a bolt through the middle and the U joint for the driveshaft goes in it. That's usually a truck item and I don't think that car has one. You did pull the driveshaft out of the car?
    A good adjustable leveler on the engine hoist might help in this case as you are most likely going to have to tilt the whole engine and trans at an angle to get it out of the engine compartment. Most likely it will have to go forward until the tailshaft on the trans clears the crossmember and then up.

A floor jack under the trans to hold it up off the cross member until it clears the crossmember helps too.

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Mr48, I haven't pulled the drive shaft but I'm thinking that is gonna be my next move. I took the rearend off the leafs but I'll have too disconnect the brake line to get it to roll back any farther. I'm not sure how long the yoke is in this thing but it's already out about three inches and hasn't cleared yet.

6. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Assuming that this is a Caddy with hydramatic, either drain the trans or come up with a plug for the tailshaft or you're going to have trans fluid everywhere when you tilt the eingine/trans assembly.

7. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Yeah, I've made that mistake with a parts car once. All fluids have been drained.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Drop the idler arm to lower the centerlink. This might get you more clearance for the tail housing and x of the frame.

9. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Nope, not a junker. I went ahead and dropped the center link. Problem solved. I already had the trans mount out and the tail shaft was still too long.

Thanks for the help gang...