Register now to get rid of these ads!

having problems assembling disc breaks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakild, Feb 19, 2011.

1. lakild

lakild
    from ga

i cant get the nut far enough down to insert the cotter pin. and when i tighten it as far as it can go my rotor scrapes my spindle, i'm at a total loss please help

2. okay - lets back up a moment - what are we working on? Did you just replace rotors, pads, calipers..in other words - was it working fine before you did something? - and then you did what that led up to this point? I'll give it a try if I have some more info. thank you,

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

My questions exactly.

What are you working on?

What spindles are you using?

What rotors are you using?

It sounds like you either have the wrong rotor for the application or have something on the spindle that the rotor is hitting.

We need that info before anyone can give a solid answer.

From checking your profile you are probably trying to adapt disk brakes to the 53 Chevy spindle. Photos of what you have to work with along and showing the interference would help too.

4. lakild

lakild
    from ga

its a rods part aftermarket mustang 2 suspension it was a kit .its for my 53 chevy belair

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

OEM rotors and spindles, or ?

Bob

6. redhumphries

redhumphries

you may have to use a ford style spindle nut that has a cover that lets you install the cotter pin hard to tell with such little info. RED

7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Are races seated?
    If they are- you can buy shorter castle nuts.

Need more info or pics.

8. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I was just going to ask about the races. My friend and I installed an IFS on his pontiac and had trouble with the spindles not seating far enough to get the nut on the spindle. Turns out that they sent him another set of races that were just a bit larger so the bearings set deeper into them. Once we changed out the races, it all went together like it should. If its a kit, it may be the race issue.

9. George/Maine

George/Maine

If its a MII kit and has the stock afther market lower a arm, it maybe the rotor is hitting the other stamping near the ball joint.
    I had that problem with Speedway arms and Granda rotors.