Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having a wheel problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidvillajr, Aug 29, 2013.

1. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Hey all, I hope somebody can help with my wheel/hubcap issue.

I've got a '51 Ford Club Coupe that used to belong to my grandfather. My dad and I have been working on it for a few years, it's been to a few events and that's all good.

What's not so good is my hubcap/wheel interaction.

I've got a nice pair of '58 ( I think ) Cadillac hubcaps - the kind that just push on, no fancy locking mechanism.

The wheels that are currently on the car are NOT deep enough to mount the hubcaps. The Caddy caps are something like 4" deep.

What is my easiest/cheapest option to run these caps?

Will matching year wheels for the hubcaps (58 Cadillac) mount on my car?

Can the wheels I own be "reversed" to provide the correct depth to mount my hubcaps.

Should I just buy wheels from someone with the appropriate depth for the caps, and what would that depth be?

HAMB has the answers, but I couldn't get the right keywords in my search.

Thanks

dv

ps - the car is in the avatar by my name

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd find a later model Ford steel wheel that the hubcap would fit securely on. Maybe off a mid 70's. The wheel will be wider but not super wide.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can pretty much do whatever works on the front, but things are pretty tight in the rear. I just put a set of 225/75R15's on the back of my '51 mounted on 5.5 inch wide 55 Ford(?) wheels. The stock wheels are 5 inches wide and the extra width is all on the inside half of the wheel (i.e. they have 1/2 more backspace). This combination required me to trim about 1/4" off the wheel opening lip on the back part of the wheel well. If you check, you'll probably find that with stock 6.70X15 tires that you have only about 3/4 " clearance between the tire sidewall and wheel well. I think you can see that using 1" deeper wheels is not going to work. You can probably get this to work, but you may need custom wheels. Measure everything carefully first.

Also, the rear end in my car was about 1/4" of center, so it hit only on one side with the new tires. I put it up on jackstands, loosened the U-bolts on the rear end and forced it over a bit. I then "cocked" the U-bolts the right way and tightened them to spec. This brought the rear-end back to center. It was still very close on both sides, so that's when I decided to clearance the fender lip a bit.

If you are planning on running the caddy caps on the front only and skirts on the rear, you won't have any problems.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Yeah, Cad caps on FRONT only. I got skirts for the rear.

5. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Do you have a picture of the caps?

6. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

At home. :(

I'm posting between teaching music classes. Bein' sneaky.

I can snap some and post up this afternoon.

dv

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I had the same issue with a 54 Ford; The fix is to use Chrysler 15" wheels. Same 5 on 41/2" bolt pattern, deeper centers.

4TTRUK

8. If they're deep-dished caps they're probably 55-56 caps. 58s are mostly flat with a kind of dome to the center. 57s are about that same shape, but the two are completely different design. 55-56 are like 57 but deeper, if you were running '57s up front and had wide rear wheels the '56s would look better on them I think.

9. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Yeah, I may have had the year wrong.

Here' the caps in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Alright, those are '56 Cad caps. You're gunna have a bad time getting those on, I would really recommend finding a different hubcap. You have a have a really deep wheel to fit those. '56 Cad wheels were specially made to clear these caps.

11. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Back to shopping, I guess...

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Will the Caddy wheels work ? Different bolt pattern, but they can be re drilled.

4TTRUK

13. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Maybe, but the real trick would be having the Caddy wheels to begin with...

hahaha