Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Have you purchased a part and then lost it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 11, 2016.

1. coupe man

coupe man

Just this morning ordered new fuel tank strap liners to replace the ones I bought last year but can't find.

2. With the New Year fast approaching I intend to upend my garage and find that damn heater,the weather is getting cooler and I am tired of being cold when I drive the old beater in the winter.

I was going to drive the car to work last week and when I opened the garage door and said "screw it, I drive Brenda's wagon,It's got a heater!":confused: HRP

3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Gaskets and rubber components are my biggest problem losing after I just purchased.....I've taken to hanging things on the walls ''so I can at least see them'' and realize where they still are....but, I've run out of wall space, and I'm back to losing stuff in boxes in the wrong places, due to cleaning and ''re-arranging'' for need....The older I get by the week, the more amazed at how much stuff I ''need'' in my garage areas, and don't know where I put things the day before!!!....somebody told me ''less is more'' once in a moment of wisdom (I think)! I can't figure that mentality out, because I'm still needing more stuff that I ''still'' can't hang on the walls anymore, due to loss of space, but still need it! It shouldn't be a problem I'm thinking, but I can't figure this conundrum out....''YET'':p.....so, I'm off to buy another yet another rubber seal in a few minutes! ...after I finish my coffee, because I still know where "THE COFFEE CUP'' is!!!o_O

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found a misplaced eBay sale item yesterday. I never fails to turn up with arms length of this keyboard. Bob

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never lose anything. My wife puts them "away" and cannot recall where they are, because she does not even know WHAT they are.

I have had quite a number of things go through an involuntary change of ownership though.

Ford52PU likes this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I never lose anything : I KNOW it's SOMEWHERE in the GD garage!! I think, or did I put it in the back of the parts car?

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have a pair of ancient cheater slicks I got in 1979. They had been MIA since 2004 until July of this year. I have way too much stuff if a pair of tires can hide in it for 12 years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I have a pair of OG Lakewood traction bars... painted yellow, in good shape. Danged if I can find those and they're pretty big. By the same token, I had a Hurst shifter in the box from 1978, I had used it and put it away in around 1983 when it came off my '65 Belair. Open the box in 2014... now I have TWO of the same exact shifter handles. No idea how it got into the box. Maybe rat turds are part of spontaneous regeneration...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

In my parts and items searches I have taken a marker and write whats in the boxes on top. This has saved me numerous times and have run across lots of parts for future builds I forget I acquired.

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

When I started building my first "A" coupe, I was so excited I was buying stuff I wouldn't need for 2 more years! I bought all the door hardware ( handles, latches, screw sets, felts and fuzzies, etc.) for around 300 bucks, and put it away for "later".
    When I was finally ready to install the stuff, I forgot I had it and bought it AGAIN! Needless to say the old stuff turned up eventually, and I felt like a total bonehead.
    Since then, I've had 3 more coupes, so it didn't go to waste.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Tomorrow,being the last day 2016 and I have the day off I intend to turn the garage upside down and find that darn heater! HRP

Ford52PU and mad mikey like this.
  12. I know this sounds stupid HRP, but have you looked on the back floor of the sedan?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Just s smidge OT, but on a VERY happy note-

I just picked up the missing rear seat and many of the interior parts/patterns for my dad's '28 Dodge Victory Six from a gentleman in Tennessee yesterday, and will only be missing the driver's seat and the floor mat when all is said and done!!!

For those of you who don't know, my dad had the car restored about 20 years ago, and in a series of bad choices/mistakes all of the interior pieces (very rare and specific to this car and body style)were left out in the elements, then thrown out. After 20+ years of searching, following up on leads, etc, things are really looking up!

Hope you all have a GREAT New Year!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Yeah Al,we have driven the sedan a lot and been out of town with the back seat loaded,not there. HRP

15. The missing parts today! I went to the hardware store and got some nice stainless bolts for my tranny pan reseal today. had them in a little paper bag, got home and laid them on the kitchen table. I went out to the shop and turned on the heat and radio. When I went back inside the bag of bolts was gone. I knew I put them on the table but began to second guess. Looked in my truck, looked in shop, went back inside and discovered after looking around that my cat, Jenny had taken or knocked the bag off the table, and was playing with them on the living room floor.LOL!:eek::D:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

And tools. Ask me how many Stanley flat bars I own, and why I can't find any of the three of them right now...

HOTRODPRIMER and mad mikey like this.
  17. ^^ Not really lost. Jenny just decided they were hers.;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Knowing how you like restoring vintage campers I'll almost bet all three are in the one your working on now!:eek:. HRP

flynbrian48 likes this.
  19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I can't find any of my sending units for my gauges. No idea where they went.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I found one (of the missing Stanley bars) last summer in the yard. With the lawn mower. That was exciting. Didn't hurt the pry bar one bit. It is AWOL again, along with the other two I couldn't find when I bought that one. I think I took them to our sons house last fall, but he can't find them either. Like father, like son...;-)

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

My Hair... wait you said purchased. Somewhere in my garage I Have a BULL NOSE for a 56 chevy to replace the hoodbird. It came from my friend at ROCCO AND CHEATERS .Thats what really ticks me off. As i have gotten older,after Christmas i buy the big Plastic containers on sale at Wally-world, take a sharpie and write what is in each one and stack them up.I have way to many projects!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

When I go to swap meets, Hershey, Bakersfield and such we often box our goods then ship them home. on numerous occasions the boxes get put away and forgotten. Sometime later I run across the sealed box and wella!!! its like Christmas all over.

I started to buy BB-1 Carter carbs for some of my brass era cars. I looked a while back and found I had purchased 44 of them, far more that I need for sure. Just got carried away.

I can loose something I had within 10 minutes of the last time I touched it. I've learned to put things in a certain place before I answer the phone otherwise I would never find it again. I believe its a sign of old age creeping in.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Bolts, when we sold our acreage in the country and shut down the big shop and moved closer to civilization with a new house and new smaller shop, by the time we consolidated all the various containers of bolts I had bought at the hardware store, put away so I wouldn't lose them, then went and bought replacements when I couldn't find what I needed I had over a 5 gallon bucket full of miscellaneous bolts.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Holy crap!! THATS a nice surprise alright!

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I spent last week looking for the "box" that contained some throttle linkage parts. Finally found them, they were in a bag.:rolleyes:

26. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i got divorced and lost everything !