Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Have you purchased a part and then lost it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 11, 2016.

1. In 2015 I purchased a small heater for my old deuce sedan when we went to the NATS SOUTH in Knoxville,Tenn. and never got in a hurry to install it while the weather was warm and tome rocked on and in February of this year I had that damned accident and got laid up for several months,summer rolls around again and that heater is the fartherest thing from my mind~ until today.

While the boss lady was decorating the tree I decided to go out in the shop and see if I could install the heater since the weather has started to cool down.

I spent the better part of 2 hours looking for that box,I have never opened it and looked in the cabinets,under the work benches and behind the bead blaster & the refrigerator.

That darn heater is hiding somewhere in that shop and I know it will show up sooner or later. HRP

2. belair

belair

You mean more than once, right?

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:rolleyes:
    Just buy another one. As soon as you do, it will turn up....:rolleyes::p

4. That's a fact! HRP

firstinsteele and falcongeorge like this.

5. At least you took over a year to lose it. I have brought things home, set it down next to the car, walk in and get tools, then come back and GONE. I keep expecting Alan Funt to pop out of nowhere holding the part.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not quite a purchase but I had an alternator rebuilt and polished before I packed it away for safe keeping. I later decided to sell it so I listed it on the that website with photos I'd taken previously when it came back reassembled. It eventually sold and when I went to find it, I couldn't! Embarrassing having to tell the purchaser that I'd misplaced it. Damn pulled everything apart and couldn't locate it. To this day I don't know where it is, packed away somewhere safe and sound? :mad::confused: It'll turn up, eventually.:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

over the years i have forgotten some of the stuff i have aquired.

j3harleys, HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  8. Yeah, anyone need a pilot bushing for an SBC to early Ford trans?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Now you will have to explain to the young pups who Alan Funt was

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That heater will turn up in summer when temps hit the 90s. Don't bother searching now--all you're gonna find is AC parts.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have re- found stuff decades later. Thats actually how I wound up with a '26 T-Tudor. Found a 283 at my dads house I'd forgot I had, spent five years rounding up the parts to build it into a 270hp clone, then I needed a car to put it in. What's REALLY funny is, I wound up with '57 9 fin valve covers, so I wound up getting a no side mount '57 block, so now I'm not even using the block that started the whole mess!:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I know I paid for at least 3 cars I never have picked up.

13. Jibs

Jibs

You know it will turn up the last place you look.

afaulk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Just as bad: I have a buncha parts I don't remember where I got them! I seldom loose stuff, just can't remember where my stuff came from. Case in point:
    Have a killer pair of 186 SBC heads and a pair of gennie script Edelbrock valve covers for my 301 project. Hope I got a good deal on 'em.

Jet96, HOTRODPRIMER and Tim like this.
  15. No kidding,
    I think I've had to look for about 75% of the stuff at least once if we count not remembering where you set it down 3 mins ago.

I had a 4 sections of peg board that got moved last year. the stuff on one section has yet to surface seems like every 3 days I need something off of it too.

HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  16. It's always that way.
    Usually cause ya don't look any more when it's in your hand

fol, falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thats what my best friend is for. He likes looking thru my stuff so often I ask him to look for things I cant fnd

18. I just went on a shop cleaning binge and found every thing, most of it I have no use for anymore.

j3harleys and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Just yesterday I was celebrating because I found a package of lug nuts I've been looking for for nearly six months. BTDT

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. For me, finally FINDING something that I once bought, then "tucked it away until I needed it" is like Christmas Day.

21. Each room in my house (having lived here 40+ years) where I spend any time, I have at least one large and one small plastic container full of fasteners and small parts I've removed from my pockets or looked at cuz it didn't work but now I can't remember what they go on or where the manual is to repair it. But I know I can't toss them out because they're important. But I mostly can't remember what they goes on or does. Got good memory but it's become overwhelming.

Right; now, I'm alone in this room but, ya know, I'm certain there is someone just behind me that I can't see, stiffling a huge laugh and ready to hide this stuff again as soon as I remember what it goes with or is for. Yesterday I spent an hour and half looking for my knit cap because I was a bit cold. Washed my hands in the bathroon after, glanced in the mirror, only to see my cap ... on my head. This stuff would be funny if is wasn't funny but I darn't nar tell no one bout it. No need to share ... please.

My kids say I can't keep spending money on more plastic storage containers to hold stuff I don't dare toss out because I've not more room on my garage walls for shelves for these hundred or so unmarked containers which hold hundreds of wall-warts and remotes and other stuff which looks familiar but doesn't work anyway. Decided I might best just sell the house ... QUESTION can the new owners sue me if I just walk away without emptying the house of it's contents, said contents which I'm obviously not using anyway because I'm not sure what it's for. Think I'll get a grocery cart and live under the bridge ... but ... will the grocery cart hold my extra stuff which I can't remember what it goes to but really need ?

22. Of course. Because when you find it, you stop looking. Therefore you don't look anywhere else.
    Now someone explain why, when I loose my keys, I stick my hand in the same pockets 200 times like they'll magically appear.

23. You're kidding, right?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. 2935ford

2935ford

X2

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Coincidence, Friday i went to my shed to dig out my 1933/35 Terraplane front and rear axle with drums and the four 16 inch wire wheels. The lugnuts were not screwed into the drums. Shit, that was 15 years ago, where the hell are they ? Why did,nt i screw them back in at the time ? So yesterday up in the attic of my other shed at home. Came across all sorts of usefull junk i had forgotten about and right at the bottom of it all in a tiny tin can i found them. Very happy because these are special bolts that screw into the drum, not your standard nut.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I got a new work truck this past summer, I traded in my old 2004 that I had bought new. When I has cleaning it out on the floor between the drivers seat and console was a brand new still in the wrapper 40 Ford rear wheel cylinder for the Banjo rear in my T modified. I have done this many times but that was the most recent.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. I lost my T5 for a couple days. Found it right where I put it on the back of a shelf hidden from view.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. dont know how the hell that happens but it always does and it doesnt matter the subject matter, its like magic.
    Final answer: your gonna have to buy another if you wanna find the first one.

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Bruski

Bruski

I have a set of vette k/o wheels I want to put on my 37 master deluxe..I've had these for 20+ years..there are special lug nuts to bolt the spinner adapters to the hubs...think I can find them?? No..but I remember putting them somewhere so I would know where they are...been looking for them for some time now..lol