Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have you ever noticed that a Thickstun PM-7 is offset?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudpedal, Feb 28, 2008.

1. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I'm assembling this roadster today, and while putting the radiator support rods on, I noticed that the air cleaner is off to the driver's side. I thought I goofed up somewhere. I starting looking and found that the intake manifold has the carbs set to the driver's side. Is this a Thickstun thing or are others like this as well? Also why is it offset? Was it to make room for the logo on the right side??

It REALLY buggs me when I look at it from the front... bummer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Is that an ORIGNAL Thickstun air cleaner or one of the many re-pops out there? I have seen some re-pops with really bad castings in the bases, it wouldn't surprise me if the base was cast wrong or cleaned up off-center.

I like your fuel line..... I would like to see a close up pic of the splice you made with the 2 into 1 lines.

3. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

The air cleaner is original. It's the manifold for sure. The generator mount is center as well as the fuel pump mount. The carbs are off to the left about an inch. I'll get you a pic when the sun is out. My garage isn't well lit...

4. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Anyone have thoughts?

...I thought it was interesting. I guess I'm the only one.

5. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

i have one in the house it appears offset also just like yours. i havent seen it on a car yet though .. idk if its a repop or not i don t think it is

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

weird... I just noticed that on mine...

7. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I would suggest you write and ask Tony Baron who carries on the business today.......

[email protected]

He'll know.....

Brucie

8. HELLMET

HELLMET

dig your motor any more pics of it? what fuel pump is that? any pics of the car some cool stuff on there. billy

9. I've never noticed that on a PM-7. Wonder why they did it that way?

Post some more pics of the whole car. I'd like to see more.

Thanks, JH

10. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

The only thing I can think of is there had to be more room for the logo on the right side, so the carbs were moved over. Sounds really strange for that to be the reason... I can't think of any performance reason. It isn't at all reciprocal left to right and it's starting to bother me ...alot.

Someone told me once that the PM-7 is the same as an early Tattersfield. If it is, are they offset as well???

I'll have to get some pics in the morning... the light in the garage sucks for pictures...

11. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

That's a stock replacment for a 1940 Ford. I got it at Carquest believe it or not... I still need to change the hex head screws for the correct slotted heads...

12. A Boner

A Boner

With hindsight, it seems sort of funny that the carbs were offset to the rear on some of the multi-carb manifolds to make room for the generator. I guess back then they hadn't figured everything out.

13. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Is it possible it was made off center to clear a support, linkage or some firewall mounted item back in the day? Battery perhaps?

Either way, that's a great looking setup. I like the contrast the copper lends....

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Did notice it with mine, never really figured out why and yeah, it bugged the hell out of me.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What drives me crazy on my coupe is the off set intake makes the grille shell look crooked when viewed straight on.

16. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Did you also take the picture used as the header of this page? It looks just like your's, even offset between the braces.

17. weez

weez

That's funny, I've gone crazy with a tape measure several times trying to figure that out, then walked off muttering.

18. flatoz

flatoz

I've seen the header view a few times and the air cleaner is roughly center.

19. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I took mine off the shelf and mesured it. The carbs are off center by a half inch towards the drivers side! Just enough to drive ya crazy. I hate to think they did it just to fit the logo on there. I wonder if they did that to line up with the throttle linkage on the firewall. It's probably has to do with getting all the runners to go to the right cylinders.

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

is it possibly to clear the generator?
    my tall edelbrock regular has the generator "groove" machined on a slant so that the back of the gen. clears the carb risers.

Zach

21. Guys, just quit looking at them straight on & forget about it. :p

My lowly Offy Super Dual doesn't have this problem. :p

JH

22. alchemy

alchemy

I think you were just looking for an excuse to show off the engine. DO IT AGAIN! MORE PICS!

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Loudpedal your killing me. I never noticed that on mine and now it'll drive me crazy forever.
    Will you guys quit looking at em and drive em. :)

[​IMG]

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I have a easy solution for this problem.

Stand in front of car.

Remove left shoe.

Done!

25. I have an even better solution Kris drink some more damn beer till you got that tilt going on and that will be straight as an arrow. well at least till you sober up again. ha,ha,ha looks like your going to drive the other perfectionists like yourself nuts with that one. and yeah its been too long, lets see pics of the project or should I just look at old pics of the blk roadster and imagine the same?

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This is interesting, as I suspect there is some engineering thought involved. I don't think it's going to be a clearance thing, as the whole manifold was obviously designed around the issue of making it a pure bolt-on, rather than an endless set of issues like a super dual needing offset generator, and carbs are so high they just don't interfere with anything.
    Flathead appearance is totally symmetrical, giving it a perfectly balanced Gothic Cathedral look, but it has its secrets. Everything is actually offset, crank, cam, valve angles...maybe something in this will produce a reason. I'm going to ask the PM-7 spiders in the garage to slide over into an Edelbrock I can offer them so I can put it on a bare block and stare at things tonight. That's gotta be better than anything that'll be on TV!

27. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Dude, It only looks that way because your only wearing one shoe!!
    Jimmy White

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Isn't the PM-7 considered one of the best performing flatty intakes????
    Maybe the reason is because the engine offset was taken into consideration.....at least, maybe that's what they were thinkin' back then....

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Performance is hard to judge; there seems little REAL back to back dyno flogging, and normal human beings simply can't build enough engines and flog parts enough to build much real data...maybe the upcoming book from super-guru JWL, an ally of Ron Holleran, will have some serious numbers. JWL took over a lot of Ron's work and equipment, and has a dyno, flow bench, and LOTS of experience and engineering know how.
    Old magazines don't help...just as with SBC articles nowadays, it was impossible to compare similar products back to back because all of them advertised in the magazines. Proving anyone's superiority would have been a disaster for the magazine.

30. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Just grind a litltle off the motor mount biscuit...