Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you bought a stalled project or have you stalled on your own project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 25, 2020.

1. I guess my Crosley was a stalled project of sorts. It left here for sure as a stalled project. Not for lack of desire or know how but life is what it is I suppose.

I have an A (ish) body on a trailer in my yard now that someone was trying to build a pick up out of (pretty much an abortion). The sedan back below the belt line is going to be a back for a T roadster (yes it aint right but the roadster is not a concourse car) what is left of the sedan quarters are going to be patch panels on an a sedan that belongs to a friend, the top of the cab back (above the belt line) is going to be part of a a coupe as are the sub rails and the cowl is going to the highest bidder. So sometimes a stalled project can be a good thing for a lot of people.

wicarnut, VANDENPLAS, ladyhrp and 4 others like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This one I would like to see that might apply to my 59 Traveller

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My A coupe was a father/son restoration project that they got part way through and never finished. They goy it in 71, did most of the work in the 70's and it mostly sat except for what they said was a yearly drive around the yard until I got it in 2011. Even then it didn't look like it had moved in a number of years. I did sell on OT 67 Nova just before I moved west in 2013, did all the metal work, just needed some finish body work and the engine/trans installed. I was burnt out on that one, wasn't supposed to be such a big project and was itching to get back into another 30's era car project instead.

4. junkman8888

junkman8888

Frankly, every vehicle I've ever bought is a "stalled project" of some sort, unfortunately, every last one of them is still "stalled".

5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

My cab over was a stalled project.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I stopped to look at a private collection of cars in 1967. He had pulled the flathead out of his traditional hotrod Model A coupe and let the car sit. It was last driven in 1954. By the time he died in 2001, his collection was pretty awesome. He wouldnt sell the coupe but I got it after he died. Maybe I will do a thread about it when I start working on it. Or it may stay an unfinished project until I die

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

All of my stuff was stalled projects. Probably most of them should have stayed stalled projects, but my dumb butt went and made most of them derivable..The sad part is when I sold them off, most of the new owners probably thought they bought a stalled project.

I guess that means I've bought and sold a lot of stalled projects, but a few of those stalled projects I've sold, I've driven a lot of miles. Gene

8. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve never been in the right place at the right time, seems the prices I had to work with was what it would cost to buy the parts accumulated and the vehicle. Always had my best luck stumbling across something sitting dead somewhere. Was always a treat when you’d find they were just ina deep slumber!

9. Rhinotoyz

Rhinotoyz

I picked this up 4 years ago...stalled project an old guy had...he bought it 25 years ago, drove it home and found a cracked block...he pulled the head to start repairs and thats as far as he got...sat for 20 years (in a garage fortunately)...I got it for a song and just got her back to life 20200627_141123.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. lbrunkala

lbrunkala

I should have stayed off of my phone! This was a Sunday knee jerk purchase. Supposedly I'm the 4 person to own it in it's current state of disassemble. Not sure if I'll keep it, or pass it along myself. IMG_6756.JPG IMG_6757.JPG IMG_6759.JPG

11. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I purchased this 34' locally IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3440.JPG IMG_3434.JPG within the last month. 1" chop with filled roof, 9" Ford, full set of new steel fenders and running boards, full set of glass fenders, walker radiator, boxes and boxes of parts. Last worked on in 1991.

12. Fix those droopy pipes Sam and it's ready to go.

13. For sure, I've bought a few!
    Bought this as a roller...
    '63 C10 #1.JPG

'63 C10 #5.JPG
    '63 C10 #11.JPG
    And ended up with this just never got around to paint...
    '63 C10 #49.JPG '63 C10 #65.JPG '63 C10 #56.JPG

14. Here's another that I bought as a stalled out project...
    19.jpg
    ... that wound up like this... 116.jpg

wicarnut, DirtyJoe, MO_JUNK and 3 others like this.
  15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Agreed. Everything looks like quality workmanship and all of the parts are high quality. I do not understand the exhaust. The X member has been modified. It looks like a Chassis Engineering kit as I have used before. Mufflers and tailpipes are fine. Getting the header pipes high and tight will be a challenge.

16. While we were in the Smoky's yesterday I saw a couple of interesting projects but I saw a pretty nice looking '39 Ford pickup, it was beside a barn and had a 4 sake sign, no price and no one was home and no phone number.

Next time I;m up that way I will check on it again. HRP

wicarnut and 3W JOHN like this.
  17. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, while you were looking at the other truck beside the house I left my phone number under the windshield wiper,if he calls me I will go back and look at it with you. BTW we had a good time with you guys yesterday.

wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Thanks John, It occurred to me I could have done the same thing but we were almost home when I thought of it. HRP

wicarnut likes this.
  19. Stay strong and try not to give up when given a bad diagnosis, I have found that having a project is good for the mind & body, you don't necessarily have to finish the project but just having something you can work on when you feel like it.

I watched a family member that was given a grim diagnosis and told they had just a few weeks to live, this person was strong willed and had a faith that was unshaken, it turned out that the prognosis was correct but the time left was horribly wrong, 18 years later my mom died. HRP

20. tylerbrasher

tylerbrasher

I’ve been fighting against my ‘54 ford customline becoming a stalled project for nearly two years now, but it’s almost back on the road...

As part of my build, though, I bought a ‘54 mainline that was completely torn apart because I needed the frame. Got a great deal on a mostly complete car because the guy had recently had a couple of heart attacks. That car has funded a lot of my mistakes on the customline and even provided a few parts that I was missing, including a full set of new floor pans which are coated in surface rust by now

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

JeffB2, MO_JUNK and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Worse than stalled - I went to save money for THE project and bought other projects instead.

I got on this tangent of wanting to own it all and as a result I didn'tget much done. Thankfully, it was all stuff I could sell.

Joel W, 210superair and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. I've done a few projects, bought from po's who abandoned them, here's one. IMG_3003.JPG IMG_3344.JPG

23. vinfab

vinfab

I have told this story already , but here it is again. Last year, I bought a 57 Handyman wagon project from two brothers I met in High School. A no rust California car taken off the road in 1970. They had pulled the body off, restored and painted the frame and the bottom of the body. They purchased every piece available from Chevrolet at that time (new GM weather stripping, wiring harnesses, hood trim, grills and turn signal bars), they had all the chrome replated and was still wrapped in 1974 newspaper. Along with the car came 5 front clips, and 2 sets of rust free doors, 2 sets of lift and tailgates and 2 complete sets of side and belt line trim. A 57 283 with a Muncie 4 speed with a never used Hurst shifter. Basically, I can sell off the excess inventory and have zero dollars in the car. Their reason for stopping work on the car was the gas crunch. People were giving away muscle cars, which they started buying. They have sold most of them over the years but have managed to hang onto two, a black on black 70 LS6 Chevelle and a one of 13, Buick Gran Sport. my57 1.jpg ph16 002.jpg ph12 001.jpg

24. I only bought busted projects if they were stalled due to lack of funds, and the seller was real motivated (as in, they came to see me). Through the years I bought quite a few so the owner could make his rent or house payments. Wasn't interested in the hard luck story, and never offered buy-back privileges. Never bought any with the intention of finishing it for myself either. Just pick it up, market it better, and move it down the road. Was never interested in working twice as hard fixing the fuckups done by the previous owner/owners. I had all I could handle fixing my own.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    wicarnut likes this.
  25. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

This summer I bought an ot hardtop 67 Camaro rs/ss and elco. The Camaro had all new sheetmetal installed and new interior boxed up with other goodies in a covered car trailer. I bought it for half of what he had invested. The elco, on the other hand, was a basket case that has turned into a charity case!

wicarnut likes this.
  26. I've got a lot of stalled projects, but my AV8 is the one taking a toll on me right now. Everything but the body is pre 1950. The body is new Brookville. It's winter in Michigan, I have no heat, and the body is starting to rust. The flatty is half machined and my local flathead shop is retiring, so the engine is slowly collecting dust. I have 30k into a pile of really cool period parts, but no time to work on it, and no source locally to move it forward. I have some feelers out to some shops here in Michigan, but so far most body shops don't want to touch it. I need a win. Too much money invested to let it rust, but I'm running out of steam and money.. Damn virus.. I haven't given up yet. Roadster.jpg

wicarnut likes this.
  27. From the black and white movies, Cowboys and Gangsters, "Quit Stalling"

28. When I got into my shoebox build (if you're bored you can read the whole sordid tale in my signature line) I hit that thing hard and busted ass on it. I figured it would take a year. I think about 6 or so years in I was seriously out of gas but still shoulder to the plow, and sent it off to the paint shop to get it over the finish line... and there it sat for 3 years. When I finally got it back there were a ton of things I wasn't happy with, so it's now sat for another 3 years without being touched.

Plan is to get back on it and get it on the road next summer. I've said that before.

wicarnut and pprather like this.