Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Has anyone removed the dust shields from modern shocks to look more traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobra5laddict, Mar 15, 2019.

1. cobra5laddict

cobra5laddict
    from denver

Just curious. I don’t see why not. Opinions?

2. BJR

BJR

Go for it.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  3. I have done it on 4wd trucks no problems

4. I've done it. No problems at all. The one's on the front of my Roadster had the dust covers removed. I built it in 94 and they're still on it. 100_1092.JPG

deadbeat likes this.

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Aren’t the dust shields the way to go? I don’t remember many shocks without the shields till the 70’s

RICH B, F&J, clem and 1 other person like this.
  6. I think shocks look more traditional with the dust covers, like they were years ago.

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

With our race cars 60's/70's before we bought custom race shocks, started in late 70's we always cut covers off so we could put on tie wraps to watch shock travel. On my Roadster had chrome Carrera, 32 had chrome PRO shocks, no dust covers. IMO on Hot Rods, shocks look better without covers.

8. badshifter

badshifter

More history being re-written.

Hnstray, Just Gary, GuyW and 7 others like this.
  9. DUST COVERS....very traditional for me back in 1951

GuyW, deadbeat, F&J and 1 other person like this.
  10. clem

clem

I couldn’t begin to tell you how long I spent looking, specifically for shocks with dust covers, - hard to find at times down here !
    All because I thought that they looked more traditional.

11. F&J

F&J

12. Do one of each. Make everybody happy. :rolleyes:

13. deucemac

deucemac

Took them off the front shocks on the roadster. I got to thinking about shock travel so did what we used to do on the sprint car. I took tie wraps and put them on the shafts and slid them down to the body, pulled them tight and didn't cut the tails off. I for got about them but I got reminded at every show and cruise in I went to by people trying to figure out why I had untrimmediately tie wraps 2" up the shaft from the body. I have over 20k miles and no leakage or road rash on the exposed shafts so far.

wicarnut likes this.
  14. The only new shocks I found for my application had dust covers, but I had to machine the weld off to remove the cover, as the cover was too big to fit through the hole in the bottom "A" arm (the original shocks had no dust covers)

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I just went through some pictures I had really quick, I didn't see a single old photo with uncovered shocks unless you count lever shocks.

Attached Files:

HemiDeuce, GuyW, deadbeat and 2 others like this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I cut the covers off of my 32 coupe in '78. Later replaced them with cover on shocks. Don't remember why.As far as I know the same shocks are still on it.

Attached Files:

17. X-cpe

X-cpe

In my mind's eye, no dust cover shocks make the front end of a fenderless car look lighter/cleaner.

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg image.jpg I ordered SoCal s for my project, dust covers are very traditional.

19. Obviously, this is one of those details that can flop either way. Just do what appeals to you most and no one is going to give you any grief about it.
    Photos of the vehicle are expected, however. :)

Automotive Stud and XXL__ like this.