Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has Anyone Made Garnish Moldings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bradberry00, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm having a little trouble finding affordable garnish moldings for my Model T Coupe. Has anybody made anything similar....

I was thinking of making some out of wood (though I am a little concerned with expansion and contraction)......or maybe steel if i can make some kind of a wood buck to form them around....

but any ideas or pics would be great.

thanks,
    david

2. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

cromed wood would be great

3. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hmmm.....ok....helpfull

4. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

5. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

brass then plate it

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

if you have the skills to make the moldings out of wood like you had thought about why not just make some and use them as the buck to form sheet metal moldings?

7. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i will probably give that a whirl.....

and Hubbcat....sorry didnt mean to come off like an asshole....

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

There was an article I believe in Rod & Custom, a while back. Does anybody know what issue?

Ago

9. TomWar

TomWar

You can Make wooden bucks, but if you made the moldings out of wood, you are correct, they would not be stable enough. I do not think that Chrome plating on wood would last long. Especially in an outdoor environment.

I am a machinist, and a woodworker.

10. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

i was the asshole
    sorry

11. metalman

metalman

When I get the time I'm going to try to make a set of 32 garnish mouldings, not that I need a set. Just want to see if my draw die method I use for driprails will do it. T moulding might be very doable with draw dies.

12. RDR

RDR

metalman...get on those 32 mouldings.. you could retire on those...Here's my order for 3 window...chopped if it saves a buck or two...RR

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Have ya ever thought about making them in fibreglass? If I had a really tough shape to build, say a cut down chopped garnish with lots of changes in shape I'd make a ''splash'' mould from glass or ''kitty hair'' over a clay master. The clay could be modeling or even use insolation foam, shaped and formed to the exact shape I wanted the final garnishes to be, than glassed over, and once dry carefully cut into sections for removal and any further shaping. These forms could be used for casting final garnishes, or beefed up and used for hammer forms or masters to refine the brass or steel ones you may wanna make. Yeah, I'll admit this is alot of work, but ya can't always take the easy road to the winner's circle!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"