Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical has anybody swapped a roof on an AD truck?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Butcher's Shop Customs, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

So I wiped my truck out pretty bad. Im having trouble coming up with a 54 cab, and mine's toast. I have a 53 cab on a parts truck. My thought is to remove the top of the 54 from the body line up and put it on the 53 lower cab. Seems simple enough. Has anybody done this before, or have a legitimate argument as to why I shouldnt try?

2. Damn, it's been a long time since I looked at one! (buddy was looking to do the same thing) Isn't there a pinch weld around the rear of the body just below the windows? And if I recall, there is a horizontal seam on the side of the cowl, so the whole top of the cowl, A pillars, top, and rear window area comes off as one unit. It's been 20 years so I might be full of shit!

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done it, but 1954 to 1954. Putting a 1953 roof on a 1954 would take some creative work in the middle of the windshield.

I went down the windshield posts past the upper corners, and down the rear corners a little. I cut the spot welds and pulled the skin, in this case, as just the outside was damaged. Take tons of measurements. Go slowly. You CAN do this.

4. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Check out stovebolt.com,There was a 54 cab for sale,Or go to the A-D group on the Hamb

5. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Hmm, i was thinkin all these cabs were the same. My boy is wanting one when he gets old enough to drive. What are the differences before i start scavaging parts?

6. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

54 and 55 First Series have one piece windshield and different dash. The bed is different, and obviously the grille. The front fenders are different, but you can make 47-53's work.

7. iarodder

iarodder

I believe the only diff. is the 54 has a 1 piece windshield and the 53 is a 2 piece. Should be a simple enough swap to do, the roof itself should be the same.

8. There are lots of differences . I had a 54 and 55 first series.
    They have pushbutton door handles and a one piece windshield. The 55 1st series had open driveshaft. Also 54-55 have wing windows.
    If you get a 5 window look for 55 GMC corner windows as they were offered tinted as an option. the door and wing windows are flat glass and can be ordered in same tint. The windshield can also be ordered tinted.
    I built the 55 for and with my son when he got his drivers license.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Roof contour above the windshield is different. On '53 back it has a 'peak' above the w/s center divider. Likewise the top of the cowl differs.

10. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

I have no doubt that he he roof will swap. I just wondered if anybody had done it and could tell what kind of a nightmare it might be.

11. the AD roofs bolt on around the rear of the cab, there may be some spotwelds as well.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have an early cab that someone started to swap a 5 window top to and a couple of tops. How much of your cowl is useable? There is an inner and outer skin on the top. Would pictures of the pieces help?

13. jerry

jerry

A body seam runs around the rear of the cab at the body line, just spot welds. There is a leaded in seam on the windshield post about 1/2 to 2/3 fo the way up. Should be a straight forward swap over.

Brace the lower cab when you have the top off, otherwise you might have trouble getting it lined back up.

jerry

14. R Pope

R Pope

If I was going to all that much work, I'd chop it while the roof was off anyway!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say your first step is to invest in a copy of the 47/54 Chevy truck assembly manual off Ebay or Amazon http://www.amazon.com/1947-54-Chevr...keywords=47/54+Cherolet+truck+assembly+manual

It is actually a 54 manual but the info you need is well covered. It shows you how the panels go together and where the spot welds are and a lot of measurements.

You are going to have to take it off at the cowl cutting the spot welds that hold the firewall to the cowl to be able to use the 54 windshield . Then you will have to work your way around and cut out the spot welds holding the back the roof to the back of the cab. You could also cut the roofs off at the same spot in the back and weld the roof back the same way as if you chopped the top with no reduction in height. One of those cut right here very carefully and weld it back and finish it off deals.

Set the replacement cab on the chassis and get it mounted solid and then get the doors to fit right with the right gaps and then brace the hell out of the cab the same way as if you were chopping it. That is imperative if you plan on having everything fit right.

In my book the first step is getting one of the assembly manuals so you can study how the cabs come apart and go together the way the factory built them. Plan on using up a box full of spot weld cutters in the process.

16. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Amen on the spot weld cutters. I can't believe how many spot welds are in one of those cabs!

And be careful after getting the welds out because after taking the parts off what is left is like a big cheese grater and will cause blood shed if you are not paying attention; ask me how I know.

I drilled out all of the ones around the windows so that the inner shell could be removed when chopping the top of my truck. Then just for fun I took out the dashboard requiring drilling out another million or so spot welds.

I haven't gotten to the point where they all get put back in but it should be almost as much fun as taking them out.

17. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Found a picture of the back inside of the cab after drilling out the spot welds.

Attached Files:

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a ton of work. You should fully brace the cab. Remember, these were work trucks, built to work truck standards, and survivors of long work lives. They were not then, nor will they be now, exact duplicates. You WILL have to do adaptive fitment to get it all lined up right.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

On every one I've ever owned the driver door did not match the belt line in the back. Far beyond adjustment. I think it had to do the steps in the cab assembly and it was just a truck.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, on these, there are things you just have to learn to accept.

21. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Not just the peak on the roof of the 53 is different, as the entire window seat is for 2 straight windshields. If you want to use your 54 roof on the 53 to keep the one pc glass windshield, cut the cowl through the lead seam above the top door hinge. Do not try to go through the a pillar as it will be very hard to get glass to work.
    Ask me how I know!
    Good luck