Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Harold's '27 RPU moved again!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dmar836, Jul 3, 2022.

1. dmar836

dmar836

Jet96, showrod, alchemy and 3 others like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

What’s the plan?

3. dmar836

dmar836

The history is what makes it for me. I'm partial to the earlier iterations of the car. Harold had a custom frame so, depending on the shortened bed and resulting wheel base, a simple Tardel-Z'd Model A chassis and 4" drop axle with steel wheels and a flathead(of course). Super simple but super doable and close to Harold's earlier vision. I have a '35 front and '40 rear but really don't want to build a custom frame or move the front cross member forward as Harold had done. So might be a little less short-coupled. Will have to see how it sits.
    Also should be obvious that it won't be repainted. Harold's interior might work(how cool would that be) but a few threads have started to let go in areas. Showrod, the latest caretaker, carefully cleaned overspray off the interior and it looks pretty good and has no real smell. Tempted to do a white tuck and roll interior with matching bed cover though. That decision can come later. Also considered starting to look for old chrome to gradually swap out parts. The old chrome door hinges and bed hinges scream old show car so I doubt that would be in poor taste.
    I already have an NOS shortened Walker radiator I need to check against the shortened '32 shell so hopefully the overheating that plagued Harold won't follow the project.
    A few parts have gone missing since 3WLarry first shared the car with us - specifically the dash and gauges. Along with some added overspray, the interior had also been removed but luckily is all still present. Fortunately, Showrod replaced the dash with an original but Harold's dash and gauges reside somewhere in the prior chain of ownership. Was all there in Larry's photos 6yrs ago so not really sure. Showrod obviously took good care of it, halted the entropy, appreciated the details, and cared about it's history and keeping everything he received intact and unaltered - thankfully!
    D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    sko_ford, KiwiGlen and Budget36 like this.
  4. dmar836

dmar836

Unloaded it today onto an A frame.
    Body might need to move back a bit but that just means more engine bay so...
    The Walker radiator fit almost perfectly! It's a sign!
    IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg IMG_1856.jpg IMG_1858.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022

5. dmar836

dmar836

Should this have it's own separate build thread or just post updates here? Hate to have three threads about the same car.
    Won't be the fastest build but...
    D

6. dmar836

dmar836