Register now to get rid of these ads!

hardened valve seats 235 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Sep 25, 2003.

1. What years require harded valve seats in the head? How long will mine last without it? Is there any sort of additive I can add to the fuel to hold off on doing this?

The engine is a 235 out of a 63 chevy pickup

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After a complete rebuild, I've been running a 235 in my '37 Chevy coupe for over 10-years (about 35k miles with a 3.73 rear end) and I don't baby it. I've had no problem with the valves and they're the stock valves & seats. Never used any lead substitute and didn't need it, IMO & experience.

3. raven

raven

I too runa a 235.
    It's in my daily driver and has the original valve seats in it. If it's not under a lot of load, the originals should work fine for years.
    r

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

you can get a lead substitute at most parts stores. I have a '55 235 in my 50 and I add the substitute when I remember to do it, which is rarely, and it does fine. The Inliners board seems to think the substitutes really aren't neccessary.

5. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have heard it both ways, that the additive is neccessary. I never used it in my 54, and I beat the hell out of it and now its dead.rings and valves. but it has never been rebuilt and was a little tired in the first place. It probably isnt that expensive to have the valve seats done though... -J.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I've got unleaded valve seats in my 235" now, but I drove it for years without any substantial seat recession. I honestly don't think it's neccessary, but if you're rebuilding the head anyway, why not do it? It can't hurt.

7. brjr51

brjr51

I recently had my '51 216 done(basically the same). Ran a little over 400 bucks in Chi-town area. New valves,hardened seats,springs,surfaced and assembled,ready to bolt on.Valves weren't recessed too bad though,just rebuilding the engine so went ahead and did it.My '50 is still runnin a stock head,I just add a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each tank of gas.