Register now to get rid of these ads!

hard mount transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keywestjack, Feb 24, 2014.

1. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

I am thinking about hard mounting the transmission (powerglide) in my t-bucket build. Anyone see any issues? Thanks, Jack

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Bad idea. Unless you have a rock solid chassis and solid motor mounts you will crack the tranny. A new rubber mount is only about $5.00.

3. Terrible80

Terrible80

Why would you want to do so?

4. 69z

69z

Not on the street! Polyurethane or Rubber mount that trans!! The only way to go.

5. 54vicky

54vicky

as stated use mount either rubber or urethane.the torsional twist of motor even at idle when putting in gear will put pressure on solid mount.best case will strip mounting bolts or break ears off tranny.worst case split case.

6. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

If you are using rubber engine mounts then I wouldn't mount the tranny solid. As the engine twists on the mounts the tranny will need to move also. I think that if you run an engine plate like in a drag car that mounting the tranny solid might be o.k.

7. If you solid mount the trans you must solid mount the engine. Do not combine rubber and solid mounts. All solid mounts is fine for the street, I have been doing it for 30 years, on various cars with no problems what so ever!

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Not on any normal chassied car.
    Even my ol Pro Gas Anglia, solid front motor mounts with a rubber trans. mount.

There's way too much chassis flex to mount the trans. solid.
    Eventually...you WILL break the trans. case if you solid mount it...simple as that.

Mike

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't even like poly mounts. They transmit too much vibration.

10. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

Thanks guys, I decided to cut the cross member out, install a better one that allowed me to get the drive shaft right using a rubber mount. I really appreciated the imput. Jack