Register now to get rid of these ads!

Happy 80th "Big Daddy" Don Garlits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Joe King

Joe King

I was thinking of going to his museum on monday. We went 10 years ago but I'd like to see it again

2. Have a good one Don,,,been many years since I first met you at Caddo Mills.Texas

3. belair

belair

Happy Birthday, Big Daddy. Thanks for the fun and inspiration!

4. Happy Birthday!

5. big bad john

big bad john

.......Happy Birthday Don....

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Happy Birthday Don!

7. chevy3755

chevy3755

happy trails Don and Pat

8. catdad49

catdad49

Happy Birthday, Don Garlits. Met him at the 1st Hot Rod Reunion in Beech Bend. Had our Yorkie, Little Bit with us and he asks, what kind of dog is that? Well, he says Pat's out back with ours, so we went out to say hello. Real people, fond memories! Cat

9. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Got to shake Bigs hand at Indy this year. My friends and I were watching Dave Reif tapeing NHAR Today and Big comes out. We were on TV. I had My nefew my camera He got some great shots. I was over the moon. Big has always been my hero. Happy birthday Big Daddy.

Attached Files:

10. Larry T

Larry T

I hope that Mr. Garlits has a great birthday and that all his Close Encounters are friendly ones.
    He's helped make lots of drag racing memories.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  11. robber

robber

Happy 80th "Big Daddy"!!!
    You have always been the person who I have looked up to in a life time of being involved in this hobby and in the sport of drag racing. Both because you are the king of innovation and because you are a good man and an excellent role model.
    From 1958 and Swamp Rat 1, through Swamp Rat 22, on through Swamp Rat XXX and all the way up through today, I have and do look up to you! I have seen you race on both coasts and met you at Bandimere Speedway and at your home and museum in Ocala. I feel very fortunate for those experiences and want to thank you for the kindness that you showed me.
    "Big Daddy" is a thinker and an innovator!. Everything that he ever used was available to everyone else, the difference was in how he used things and put them together!!
    I am sorry for your very recent loss, Don, and in your own words, "God is Love".

Attached Files:

12. henryj429

henryj429

I've been a big fan since I was 10 years old in about 1970. The big thing about Don is that he's always been a thinker and an innovator. Drivers can be made but mechanical genius can't.

13. CDM

CDM

Here here; happy birthday Big Daddy. Not only is Big Daddy an original gear head but he is also one of the hobbies great historians and preservers. If you ever get a chance visit his museum in Ocala, Florida. It's like a candy store for gear heads.

14. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

THE MAN ,cutting edge everytime out . HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wishing Big Daddy only the very best. He has inspired and entertained so many for so long.
    can not be a true Happy Birthday with the recent passing of his good friend Tommy T.C. Lemons.

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

Happy birthday Big! One of my hero's.

17. Philbilly

Philbilly

Happy Birthday Big Daddy!

18. thehazguy

thehazguy

Happy Birthday "BIG" It was great to spend time with you at the Island Dragway 50th Anniversary meet. Spent the time to look at my old photos of him and sign them. Actually took one of my extra pictures I offered. Great time, Great guy

19. Happy Birthday Mr. Gartlis. Me and Big 2009 at his house. Pretty cool day for me. :cool:

Attached Files:

20. Happy 80th Don, Thank's for all the great thrills over all the years....You are #1 in my books and allways will be the king of drag racing.

21. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if anyone did have any questions about Big Daddy's influence all they'd have to do is read this thread. You can certainly add my name to this long list of birthday well-wishers!

22. WRONG. You've got that backwards. :rolleyes:

Chuck Norris is like the "Big Daddy" Don Garlits of martial arts! :cool: Because Big Daddy allows him to be! :eek:

23. I am sure that if you asked Don what his secret to success is, he would answer, his wife Pat. She is the nicest person you will ever meet. I was his arch nemesis as a flagger, but I always have admired the man for his accomplishments and his devotion to the history that is preserved in his museum. So sorry for his loss of T.C. Lemmons, RIP.

24. pgray

pgray

Happy Birthday Big Daddy, in 86 or 87 I recall him walking around the motorcycle shop I was working in looking for a small pair of wheels for a project he was working on. quite the innovator.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember a story I read years ago, that he related. He spoke of how a buddy and he were driving by a Chrysler dearlership, before he ever ran a hemi. They noticed a large banner out front that advertised 300 h.p. He said at the time, it was difficult to believe that a stock engine was capable of so much power. I think he even went into the dealership to verify the claim. Told himself, "I gotta get one of those."

A very Happy Birthday, Don Garlits! Thanks so much, for all you've done.

26. derbydad276

derbydad276

I met don in the 80's at the detroit autorama along with a group of friends
    it was just after (waynes world ) came out and 6 or 8 of us did the hands raised
    (were not worthy) to him
    he smiled and told us to cut it out
    what i love about the guy is that he is like Richard Petty (allways smiling)
    and loves his fans

27. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I've never met Mr Garlits in person, but did get to visit the museum in '07, one of the greatest days of my life. Upon returning home, I wrote a quick "thank you" email to the museum email address, thinking the nice lady at the counter or someone would see it. To my surprise, Mr Garlits himself returned my email , and thanked ME for visiting! A true American hero, Happy Birthday Don!

28. das858

das858

Happy birthday Big Daddy! I have been very fortunate to see Don run many times, from my first trip to the drags in 1969 at Kansas City to seeing him win Indy in 1978, 1984, and 1985. Always the king for me.

29. Happy Birthday Big " D "
    I will never forget you!
    I first met him at National Drag Strip in NY in 1971
    I was running my Race Car & Blew the Spiders in the Rear end
    had the Car Jacked up on Stands was under the Car with the Cover
    of the Rearend off & seen the Spider gears Shattered
    and I hear this voice asking did you use the Moroso Spiders
    and I say No I turn around and it was Don under the Car with me
    he says I like your Car, looks Good once you get all the Bugs out of
    it its going to be a real Contender!
    Thank You Big Daddy Don

P.S. the Car was a Good Contender in 1974 it did 3 9 seconds run
    back to back

30. YEEEAAAAAUUP! My favorite guy in the automotive arena! Happy Birthday Big Daddy!