Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hank III in Texas / Jan '04

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Jan 7, 2004.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

[​IMG]

Hank Williams III with Assjack playing these Texas venues:

1-16-04 in Dallas @ Tree's
    1-17-04 in Houston @ Fitzgerald's
    1-18-04 in Austin @ Stubb's BBQ (I'll be there)
    1-21-04 in San Antonio @ White Rabbit

HANK THREE OFFICIAL WEBSITE

2. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Sweet.I haven't seen him live yet.

3. BubbaLuv

BubbaLuv
    from Denton, Tx

i dont think he's doing the country stuff. i think he's just playing the punk rock stuff. i tried to book that show on the 16th but he wanted to play dallas not denton. the promoter of trees said he wasnt doing the country stuff.
    bubbacabra

4. du$ty

du$ty

yeah punk rawk sucks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Greazer

Greazer

His punk stuff isn't too bad...It's kinda "Reverend Horton-esque"

6. du$ty

du$ty

i was kidding...but really..i thought the last time i saw him he was doing like a grindcore thing that wasnt my jelly roll at all...his country shit is badass...almost as good as wayne the train or johnny dilks.

also when i saw him last...he did half and half....so maybe he'll do that.

7. rikaguilera

rikaguilera

Looks like I might just get to see him this time. I like the punk stuff, so if that is what he is playing, then all the better! [​IMG]

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've seen him twice down in Corpus Christi. He did half & half. Now that he's in that new Metal band "Superjoint Ritual" with Phil Anselmo from Pantera, he seems to have gone a little ghoulish looking. I haven'tm in a few seen him in a few years, so this should be interesting.

I read an interview about why he started playing country, cause he had a kid and needed money, the rock/punk bands he was in didn't pay, country music did. Here's a little bit of that interview I saved...

[ QUOTE ]
    Hank Williams III is carrying on the family tradition. You think I mean as a country singer, don't you? While that's true, it's not the whole story.

His daddy, Hank Williams Jr., was a notorious boozer and pill popper, and his grandpa, the man whose legend sits nestled in the roots of every country family tree ever drawn, drank himself to death before he reached 30. The original Hank Williams suffered, all right, and evil or not, that pain translated into wonderful music. But Hank III, whose real name is Shelton Hank Williams, keeps on suffering, and there's a sideways nobility to that, which can only be understood after a long conversation with the rail-thin Nashville resident.

Spookiest of all is that he sounds EXACTLY like his granddaddy when he talks. You'll understand the weirdness after you read a few quotes.

After three days of miscommunication and neglected phone deadlines, Williams finally calls from a pay phone in New Orleans. I ask him why oh why, given the hell his family's gone through, and the hoops that plastic Nashville presents, he would ever want to be a country singer.

The answer knocks me on my butt. "A one-night stand that waited three years to tell me I had a son. I needed cash flow fast," Williams says with snake-bite honesty. "It was time to get into the business."

"Now I live with four people for $137 a month, and I'm still broke."

Shelton Williams was relatively happy with his life before putting on the cowboy wear. He was playing in energetic punk bands, getting high and having sex. He'd been in jail "but not for anything major: I f---ed up when I was pretty young, you know?

"Looking back," says the 26-year-old, "those were the best times of my life, playing on the bill with Corrosion of Conformity, Bad Religion, Fugazi. We'd been on the rock circuit for a few years, but there was no f---ing money in it. There was bad sides to it, seeing my friends shooting up and dying off, waking up not knowing what day it was. But I miss it."

Williams is now "being drained" by child support, which forced him to seek a record deal. "That whole situation is about greed. They just ream me every month. I don't even get to see the kid," he says with a sardonic chortle, "what with my reputation as a pot smoker, her dad being a f---ing cop and all. That's just gonna cause worse of a sticky situation if I even try and get near, you know? Maybe when the boy's 15 or so he might want to look me up, but ..." He doesn't finish. I ask him if he'd encourage his son to plug into the music business. "I don't know what he'll be right now. But if he feels the urge to play - go to it!"

Williams' memories of his own dad are sparse, which might explain a few things, and makes his current situation sadder. "I only saw the guy, like, three or four times a year. He was doing what I'm doing. Living on the road, getting screwed up. We wasn't really close; we ain't now. We got together for that gawdawful Three Hanks piece of crap, which I wish they would destroy. "It's an embarrassment," he says with a moan.

Most sensible critics, including me, agreed. That album was madness. His recent solo follow-up, Risin' Outlaw, was a big improvement, but still too Nashville. "Which pisses me off. Everything Curb (Records) puts out is s---. They wouldn't let me record none of my own songs, barely. Too country for country, you know the line. Blue Devil, this tune I recorded on a four-track with my friend after we got a good buzz going, is the best song on the album." Which is actually true, and it's the only track carrying his name alone in the writing credits, plus the most real. I've often wondered what modern Nashville, which ironically drops his name endlessly, would actually do if a mess of a guy like the first Hank Williams wandered through town. Now I know. "The name alone u

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyways...if he does the punk shit, cool, I'm used to all my friend's bands playing punk & metal, I love the shit. I just think his country shit is so much better...

9. dondanno

dondanno

I saw him here in Portland he did a few of his country tunes and they were awsome but then he went into this Death Metal shit and did 3 songs in a row about cocaine. So we left. I will still buy his country cds though..Danny
    ps I like punk dodnt get me wrong but punk this wasnt

10. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

I do like his cover of We Bite...

11. i love him,,,
    every time i've seen him he does half and half,,,,
    always a BLOODY fight,,,,
    ROCKS MY WORLD,,,,

his site hank III website
    has clips of both personalities,,,

MISS hootch

12. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

I admire the fact that III does what he wants to do...He could have played it safe and done covers of Hank Sr ad infinitum....He's a gorehound,and makes no apologies.
    He treated us like we were celebrities, and I never forgot that.
    Really enjoyed his live stuff when Jason Burns was his bass player.
    No doubt you will have a great time,THC.....

13. Hank is amazing and cannot wait for him to return to the Continental Club...he is going thru manager/record label crap right now so sit tight, he will be "back"

14. He's coming to Seattle (Graceland) on the 29th of January.

Man, I hope he does a bunch of country. When he is doing his country thing he is my favorite musician of my generation. The punk stuff just doesn't rock my boat.

Now I totally appreciate him going his own way w/ punk and all, but wholey shit! He is probably the most profound thing to happen to country music in the past 25 yrs. He NEEDS to play country because country NEEDS him. He is one of very, very few musicians who can singlehandedly change the face of an entire genre of music.