Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hang my head in shame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Mar 22, 2016.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I didn't say "show", I said "event", such as Steel in Motion, or similar, with drag racing involved more than show. About the only "show" to which I go is local cruise ins, and of course I drive to them.

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  2. jazz1

jazz1

I'm also recovering from spinal fusion and NO way you can sit in that seat of your avatar for more that 20 minutes,,,now if you could remove rear of cab and slide in a zero gravity chair....
    ya i would trailer it

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No shame in trailering in a situation where your physical well being dictates that it is the wise decision.
    Shame in trailering comes with :
    Gotta keep the miles off to keep the value up.
    It spent three days at the detail shop and I don't want to get it dirty on the way up and miss a possible award.
    I have too much money tied up in it to drive it on the road (usually said by a guy with a 20K car riding in a 14 K trailer towed behind a 50 K diesel dualie crew cab.
    Those are poor reasons for trailering all the time and have heard for 40 + years. There is a local guy who will not drive his car on the road even 15 miles to a car show but tows everywhere because he is so afraid it will get a chip or show wear. It's not a world class show car by any means but for some reason the guy won't drive it preferring to roll in, unload it and drive it maybe 2 hundred yards to a spot where it sits until he loads it back up and hauls it home. That I don't agree with because he is missing the whole point of having an enthusiast car.

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My neighbor was selling his Father in law's SEGWAY. I borrowed it to go to an outdoor car show, went rolling thru and you shoulda heard the whoops and hollers.
    Most LOVED it, some old bags didn't like it, "Yuppy" was said, I just stopped and told the old bit** that I had a broken back; excuse me if I should have stayed home!
    Old bag welled up and told me how sorry she was...Yeah, I felt like a hot rod on a trailer!
    (I'm human: should that have been spelled "trailor"?):D

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  5. WordSmith

WordSmith

My wife has multiple sclerosis. When we met, we met on a motorcycle ride put on by a friend of ours. When we got married, she bought me a nice Harley. We put a ton of miles on that Harley, and them MS took her core muscle control away. Now she can't ride. So we sold the Harley and got a little sports car (a Miata) for her to drive, and to use for our "rides." Since then she has had a Mercedes SLK230 and currently drives a Nissan 300ZX (with T-tops). The reason I mention all this is to demonstrate a rule we have: when MS takes something away, we take it back in some other form.

So don't let disability take away what you love to do. You may have to change things up a bit (trailer the vehicle, different car, etc), but you don't have to hang your head. Life just takes things away sometimes. It sucks. But you can always take it back!

6. upspirate

upspirate

Back in the '80's when I was very active in the hobby/events (went to one every w/e the first year) I got the same thing..."when you going to paint it,finish it, etc. I even got a "Best unfinished" award at one show (it was finished, just flat gel coat on a glass body)
    I got tired of paying $15-20 to sit in the sun and listen to how everyone would have done this or that different, so I just started to go to events to buy or sell cars or parts and just used mine for everyday vehicles.
    I did like the drag events and picnic style events much better.

volvobrynk and Donald A. Smith like this.
  7. stimpy

stimpy

YOu have a bum Back , Not a bum car , go and screw the nay sayers , after 25 years of pulling tankers and more years wrneching on things from primemovers to welders my back is somewhat toast , I used to be able to drive 18 hours a day or more , not anymore back cannot take it ,I was 6" 5 when I started now I am 6' 2" as all my discs are compressed and I make funny noises when I bend or turn , forget about my wanting to drive a funny car ,altered or rail ...

8. stimpy

stimpy

Oh just to be sure NO Billet on the trailer .... :D

9. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

I've had that surgery. 18" fusion in my back. You do what you you gotta do

jazz1 and Donald A. Smith like this.