Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hand Bendable Brake Line!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, Apr 21, 2007.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Our parts source at work just introduced this to us so I thought I would pass it along. The deal is, this stuff is made of some Nasa approved rocket material that allows it to be bent by hand and not kink. I mean we got some at the shop and I bent it into a 2 inch coil by hand and then bent it back straight again. On top of all that, it is 4 times as corrosoin resistent compared to steel lines.

The price isnt crazy either, we can get a roll of 25 feet(yes it comes in a roll) for 27 plus tax. Buy your own fittings and flare at the desired length. You don't waste as much either because you're pulling from a roll not a cut piece. Perfect for those of us with two right hands when it comes to a tubing bender.

2. 4woody

4woody

What is it called?

3. Yea man, don't tease us like that. Where did you get it. I'll be doing some brake work soon and this would be perfect.

4. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My NAPA guy showed me this type of brake line a week or so ago-I didn't get the name of it either. But is sure was impressive. He quoted a price of $35 for a roll of 3/16 line. alex

5. hatch

hatch
    from house

OK....what is it???

6. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

A name of the product would be nice. I'm going to need some new brakelines here sometime in the future when I commence swapping the Byooik from Dynaflow/torque tube to ST400/open drive.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If this turns out to be true, (still haven't heard a trade or brand name) I'm digging out all my @$#%& benders from my tool box and throwing them just as far as I can !!!!! :D

8. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

I used the same stuff 20 years ago to run the brake lines on my panhead it was called bundy flex. Haven`t been able to find it for years.Glad someone is making it again

9. wrench7x

wrench7x
    from NE Ohio

10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Go into yer local NAPA and ask to see the new, black brakelines that bend easily. No, I didn't type that wrong... They are black, not silver. You can get em in normal lengths with fittings on the ends too.

11. Yep, NAPA carries it. My local NAPA got it about a year or so ago.

I don't know if it has a trade name or not, but it is a blackish/grey coated line. I was thinking it was a teflon coating, but I could be wrong.

12. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Am I the only one who doesn't have problems with crushing brake lines while hand-bending? I mean, the last car I did had independent rear suspension and the lines wrapped around the rear drums AFTER the flex line and there were no kinks in evidence and it was bent pretty darn tight - no apparent brake problems. I hate my benders...

13. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

uh yeah.. one more time.. what's the name? Do any stores other than napa carry it? Sounds like I need this stuff. Does it hold any fluids other than break line....... ie: fuel? Hmm.............

14. nero

nero

been buying it for 30 years.made up lots of line in my shop.always baught it fron napa.but most GOOD auto parts stores have it. just ask for bulk coil.3/16 5/16 .uou can bend 90s with you thumbs.as for fuel lines i use the plastic style that dorman sells,for carb/and fuel injection nice to work with and uou can reuse the fittings..my2c

15. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

As I'm buying my last piece of steel brake line for the A, the NAPA guy says "you ever seen this stuff"? He whips out the brake line your talking about and bends the crap out of it, straightens it out and hands it to me. Amazing but I'm finished with mine now. I think he said it was about twice as expensive as the steel stuff in cut lengths. Was very impressive stuff. I didn't get the name of it, I'd forget it anyway...just walk up to the counter and ask for it, they'll know what your talking about. You could go on their website and search it out too.

16. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

You know, while I was wrestling with my brakes lines on my roadster, I kept thinking of a dark colored pc. of brake line that the local Autozone sold me about 3 years ago. I remember it being like a darker gun metal color and bending it EASILY by hand....it was in a precut length with ends already on it.....

I guess I didn't check into it, I just assumed it was "junk" from Autozone, or to good to be true and really didn't want it on my roadster.....guess I should reconsider!

I'll bet it's easy to flare too..

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There were 2 brand names associated with the hand-bend tubing, Bundy-flex and Kant-Kink. It was available in all standadrd lengths like the hard line BUT came with the springwire abrasion coils installed.
    We sold this stuff at Specialized Auto Parts back in the 70s-80s and some local auto parts stores had it.
    The old-time hard line maker bought the rights to the stuff and killed it. We couldn't get it anywhere made up in lengths with fittings and abrasion springs as before anymore.
    So now I guess it's time for a re-introduction of a very innovative product that was killed by corporate acquisition years ago.

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Yep guys its true. I was afraid you'd all think I was crazy. The stuff we have is like a greenish coating of some sort. Don't know much about it. I'll check the name tomorrow and if some of ya can't find it locally I can score some for ya and ship it to ya.

19. slamdpup

slamdpup

is it weldable?..for making a skeleton for tailight housings or head light housings..?

20. whitewallslick

whitewallslick
    1. oHIo

It does bend easy, but looks like ass on a traditionally styled car. The coating that others have mentioned is green and doesn't come off easily.

21. Brickster

Brickster

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I can't tell from the pic and I forgot to grab the name today at the shop. I'll do it tomorrow.

I can see it being weldable, but you'd probably have to burn through the coating, which as I mentioned is rocket science enginered with Nasa materials, and the fumes would probably end your breathing.

23. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Did you have the chance to flare a piece?

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Haven't "used" it yet, only played with it. But I can see it being alot easier to flare being the material its made of is more plyable.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I know, go to NAPA and describe what it is and "they" will know. Is this a top secret product that you can not ask for by name?

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ya gotta know the secret handshake too.

27. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Sounds pretty killer

28. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

Fedhill makes Cunifer lines. Great Stuff and their flaring tool is FIRST RATE!

29. PRoz

PRoz

Sounds like a commercial for NAPA.

30. I have no problem with this. Ive seen some SWEET asses!

The way I bend brake line, I NEED this stuff. Hope to have new wire harness and brakes done this summer. I'll be checking into this stuff!