Register now to get rid of these ads!

hambers in Kansas help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52 HenryJ, Jul 2, 2007.

1. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

If there is anyone in Kansas that can help me set up my 8' ford rear end I would work it out in your shop on the weekend or pay $$ whichever. I just want to learn to do it myself. thank you in advance ---- John

2. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

or do you know who I should send it to to have done I have a 3:55 ring and pinion gear set I need installed any help would be appreciated

3. guiseart

guiseart

beats me, but here's a bump for ya

4. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

thanks man, just trying to learn to things the right way the first time.

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Well, I ain't in Kansas at the moment...but I used to end up doing lots of ring and pinion/rear axle work at the Ford dealer years ago, and I can tell ya that it really ain't all that hard. There's some muscle power involved, and having the right tools and supplies is important...but it's not that bad once you've done a few of 'em.

Short of typing it all out myself to describe my methods, I think this link will get you started nicely. Any questions, don't hessitate to ask, though!

:) :cool:

http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~biesiade/gearinstal.html

6. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

wow don't know how to thank you!!!! And yes when I get started I will be asking a lot of questions!

7. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I'm in Kansas but a long ways off. I'd suggest the Richmond tape. Harbor Freight will sell you the magnetic stand and dial indicator for about $13. I bought my inch pound torque wrench off of the internet for about $15 as military surplus. Lots of good instructions on the internet and some of the sites are listed on the HAMB. Not as big a job as most mechanics will tell you. Take your time and you will do fine. Their are several old racers in the Manhattan area that will put it together for less than the gas would cost you to get here and I'm sure they will let you watch.

8. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

like performance machine??? they do that? Now I feel silly

9. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...just thank me by getting your car on the road and enjoying it with them healthy new gears!! :)

There's some things you might run into, and a few tricks you might pick up along the way if you tackle enough rear axle jobs. Putting the ring gear in an oven and heating up a couple hundred degrees (250 degrees works okay) for about 20 minutes will make it real easy to slip onto the carrier. Some guys pound 'em on, or use the bolts to draw the gear into place, but the heating trick (with some really good gloves or mits!) gives you a far better shot at getting your gears installed without damaging them.

At the dealer, my partner would use a torch in place of an oven, but I think the oven heats the gear in a more uniform fashion. Most of what we worked with were either 8.8" rears or Dana axles, but a few 9" rears still showed up now and then....mainly in light trucks.

The 8" Ford is one of the best all-around rears you can use for general street rodding applications. It's as strong as you're likely to need...popular ratios are available, and it's not a bad looking rear axle, either! The removeable carrier section makes it pleasant to work with, too...you can do all the real work on your bench rather than under the car...as is the case with integral style rear axles!!

10. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I don't know Performance Machine. Is that Billy Graham? It doesn't hurt to call and ask for prices and if it is ok to watch. A lot of those guys are gettin enough age on them that they want to pass the information along.

11. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

yeah that him hear a lot of good stuff about him!

12. old beet

old beet

I never set them up, just buy the rite pumkin. I can do that....OLDBEET

13. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

14. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Well a small update on the third member have it tore down and ordered the new ring and pinion for it plus all new seals and bearings!!
    just wanted to say thank you for all the help and this would be the power of the HAMB!!!

15. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

You will find this is easier than you ever thought. Just read the stuff that Squirrel has and you will have a good time.

16. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

The only thing that will really be that hard is installing the bearings and setting pinion depth/preload. Just hope you ordered from a good company that has instructions then the rest is a breeze.

17. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

yup went with the best Richmond gear! also ordered their set up kit to get everything I needed and a dial indicator for 8-9" read ends from summit.

18. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Over in the industrial park in Manhattan there are a couple places you might try.
    Both of them are on Hostetler. B&H, and Performance Machine.
    I don't know if either setup rearends, but I've used B&H for quite a few things when I was in Manhappyness. Sorry the old black guys name escapes me but he did damn good work. Archie? Arnie? Or I may be way off.

19. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Hell, you've got it whipped with having richmond and the setup kit! As long as you're good with that dial indicator you'll have the backlash and pinion depth set no prob, which these are two of the biggest things in setting up gears adjustment wise. Good luck! By the way big show and street party coming up in Wichita Satruday the 14th in Old Town from 6p.m. to midnight, show cars allowed in at 4 and at midnight they are havin a cruise. Should be sweet I'll be going once again this year!

20. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

sorry man wont make it this year thrashing the J for the hamb drags and going to branson auction this fall.........

21. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

You goin to the hamb drags at Mokan? I'm planning on bein there if the weather is fairly nice it's only about a 2 hour drive for me. You know what they're gonna charge to get in?

22. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

A note to every one who gave me great advice the rearend is together and working great!!!!! Thank you so much for all the help!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

23. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Did you do the grunt work yourself, or send it out??

Either way, congrats on getting your ride that much closer to the road...but if you went through the process yourself, then you now know it ain't no big deal!!

It only gets easier with practice, too!! ;) :D :)

24. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Did it all myself, over a three day period looking at a couple web sites and Richmond's video. Now I gotta get my axles and its road worthy again!!!!! Well except the paint of course. ----- John

25. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Awesome! Hope you have fun drivin it just put it through a few heat up and cool down cycles first to break it in a little then you can thrash on it!

26. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Yeah almost put in a mini spool but thought better of it. How do you feel about Moser axles or should I go with Currie???

27. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Moser is definately a good set of axles, me and some of my friends used to run them alot in our dirt stock cars and they held up really well. Haven't had any experience with Currie but they have a good rep among the 4X4 and off road crowd.

28. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Moser axles are fine. Have you thought of running the originals?
    Pete