Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Ed Greenwell

Ed Greenwell

Hi,

I'm new here and I wasn't sure how to start a new thread so I figured I would try this, I have this old tool chest and cabinet that I got from a lady a few years ago after her husband died it has been repainted sometime in the past and I was wondering if someone might know the manufacturer, thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      415.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      480.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      501.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      458.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jerseymike

jerseymike

was wondering if anybody could identify this lower box. i bought it in 1984 from a little one man shop when the old guy died. it was old then and had some body tools and some lead files and paddles in it. think i paid like $35 for it. has no brand markings anywhere on it, but it does have 2 holes where there was a nameplate on the right side of the upper drawer. was originally painted a dark blue and at some point painted red (not well). also had a side handle on the left side. just curious what brand and roughly how old. any ideas? thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

original color blue
    [​IMG]

3. brad2v

brad2v

My Grandpa's boxes, my most prized possesions, by a long shot. He bought the Owatonna top box right after returning home from WWII, and the lower Snap-On rollaway in the 50's.He told me stories of how fast the Snap-On guy would change the casters. Note the tire crayon "frankly" on the side of the top box, his name was Frank, so obviously, a co-worker's addition. They contain his tools too, and I think of him every time I use them, which is nearly daily. We lost him March 25 last year, about 3 weeks short of his 93rd birthday. He was, and is, my greatest hero.

Attached Files:

4. xketh

xketh
    from New York

Vintage rolling Tool Box 001.jpg

Vintage rolling Tool Box 002.jpg

Vintage rolling Tool Box 003.jpg

Just added this vintage rolling box to my shop . its from the 1920's to early 30's at the latest. British tool company that was bought by Black & Decker for USA rights in the early 30's. I think they are still in business in England. Very cool rounded front, great for heavy tools.

5. Huot Mfg. Company

Huot Mfg. Company

These are two examples from the Huot tool cabinet line. The top unit is a Model 100 in blue and gray hammertone finish. The deep drawer on the top unit was designed for a 1/4" drill to be stored.

The bottom unit is the Model 250, also in blue and gray hammertone finish.

Both circa mid to late 1950’s<O:p</O:p

Huot Mfg. Company<O:p</O:p

6. Zaylor

Zaylor
    from Alaska

My first toolbox. Bought it used and redid it. [​IMG]

7. Here's a few I acquired this year:
    An old Gerstner with leatherette covering.Needs a lot of work and is missing 2 small drawers.
    An unmarked oak chest that needed a front that I had a cabinetmaker friend make.
    An unusual Kennedy carpenter's box(32 inches long)
    An unmarked oak box that also needed a front panel(made since the pix were taken)
    An old wooden box that was full of old tools that was given to me.Could possibly be an early Gerstner.

Attached Files:

8. I posted this on the garagejournal but thought you guys would enjoy it too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. I can see a couple of these getting decorated up as sign and striping kits. :D

You could use that carpenter's box to haul around all your really long quills and stripers! :rolleyes:

10. jungle_josh

jungle_josh

Hey guys any help or ideas for cleaning up rusty latches?

11. Harrisontx

Harrisontx
    from Waco Texas

do the latches come off? Oriellys sells a product called "Evapo-rust". Works like a champ.

12. A Dremel or similar type tool with a small wire brush worked pretty well on my old Kennedy machinist's chest.

13. Here is my latest find and my current paint kit.Not sure what year it was made but it is a bit unusual in that it is shaped like a mailbox.Has two trays;one that slides straight out and the other that slides on the top edge of the lower box.When I got it the latter tray was very difficult to operate.Found that one of the hinges was slightly bent causing it to hang up on the lid.Still is difficult to close due to the design of the hinges.Probably why they don't make them anymore.Anyway it was a unique piece and I lettered and antiqued it last night.

Attached Files:

14. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Cool Thread: Here's mine.

[​IMG]

15. Harrisontx

Harrisontx
    from Waco Texas

16. lilmeb

lilmeb

Hello, I have one of these !! Does anybody know where I could find some of the chrome strips that go on one of these old Lincoln work stations.

17. GSX-PKV

GSX-PKV

In 1965, my parents gave me a gift of a set of Craftsman tools in this tool box. I still have and use nearly all those same tools today.

Attached Files:

• tb.jpg
      tb.jpg
      File size:
      345.2 KB
      Views:
  18. fleetside66

fleetside66

That's hilarious...I just picked up this box (no name on it) at a church bazaar yesterday & was wondering the same thing. I was there early & got it for $70. The funny is that I went to post it on this thread & saw your identical box on the same freakin' page! What are the chances?

[​IMG]

19. N2TRUX

N2TRUX

I picked up a small box this weekend from my bro-n-law. He says it came from his grandfather, but no idea where he bought it. I have searched everywhere and can't find any info on who made it.

Anyone got a clue about who built this box?

Attached Files:

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

i had one of these that papaw gave me when i was 16 and i passed it to my cousin when he was 18. I don't know where it is now.

21. wynnesome

wynnesome

Found this website in my google search for info about Vintage Snap On toolboxes. It does NOT have a year made stamped on it anywhere as others have suggested to other poeple posting questions on age of their's. It is dark army green in color, has a plaque stating "SNAP ON . KENOSHA WISCONSIN . TRADEMARK . MADE IN USA. It is in pretty decent shape considering, could use fresh paint, couple small dents....typical for a toolbox that's been used :D ! It has 2 slide open doors that go over the slide out drawers on lower box(removed for pic). Could anyone tell me what year and ball park value...I know the value is ultimately up to the buyer, but...:) Hopefully the pic is helpful!:eek:

Attached Files:

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3rd, post, all the same thing, no filling out of profile, no traditional car content, you'd better off at http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.php than here. We're more about the cars....

23. wynnesome

wynnesome

ok, thanks for the link.
    sincerely,
    young widow of car mechanic

24. Patrick123

Patrick123

Here are a couple of old Kennedys I picked up the other day. And great thread by the way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  25. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

you can get the original snap-on paint in a 12oz spray can part#rep12a
    $23.25 from your local snap-on dealer or available on snap-on.com

26. Kingdve

Kingdve

My parents bought me that topbox for Christmas in 71 along with a Craftsman 1/4 driveset my Mom wrapped each socket individualy !.. took awhile to get each one unwrapped !

27. Ledzep045

Ledzep045
    from Indiana

I have a roll cab that looks identical to that one. It has a badge on it that says Dayton Electric Manufacturing, and it is kind of an oval shaped badge. I have never seen another Dayton box like it. From what I can tell, these boxes were made by Waterloo in the 70's or 80's possibly. And they were made to last.

28. Nice score!
    I have a Proto "tool mobil" that is similar, but it has a cast proto plaque.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This really isn't a "toolbox" site. This thread is just here because some of us that are into "Traditional Hot Rods and Customs" have old toolboxes as well. Not sure if there is a site for old toolboxes that isn't brand specific. But you seem to want to go on and on. No intro. Don't seem to be interested in what the site is about. Not sure I'd expect a whole lot of help...

30. Here is my latest find:an early Craftsman tool box that looks a lot like a mail box.I posted pics of a similar one earlier in this thread.This one is different in that instead of sliding trays it has a lift out tray and the handle forms the top of the box that holds the lock mechanism. I'll post pics later of the inside as I just finished lettering the outside and it's still wet.This will be my new paint box for awhile anyway.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.